dreameroftheday
Participant

Hi Tamra, thanks for your words. I’ve actually been trying to leave home for a while but my job doesn’t pay enough for rent and other bills. I can’t move in with my boyfriend as he’s not in a position to take me in. He struggles financially too.

I would actually say it’s a mixture of culture and religion. My parents are each from different cultures. It’s one parent’s culture that comes stronger over the other. I feel suffocated. For a long time I believed my only way out of the family home was to marry a man in this religion, but I realised I didn’t want to raise any children I have in this religion. It’s not fair to them. All I heard growing up was what you can’t do, this is bad that’s bad. I hardly ever heard anything positive. Then seeing men seemingly being able to do whatever they want. I quickly got fed up.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content