Marthamoo
Participant

Hi Timetomoveon. Women who have lived in an abusive relationship for a while, either knowingly or not, slowly lose trust in their gut instinct. This is a product of being frequently undermined by our abuser. By being frequently questioned and made to justify our opinions and actions. By being frequently told that our interpretation of events is wrong (basically because it doesn’t agree to their’s). Once we stop listening to and trusting our gut instincts we are in trouble. We stop seeing things for what they are and we nearly drive ourselves mad trying to make sense of everything. All the while our gut instincts are screaming at us to see sense.

I had quite a lot of counselling a few years ago and this was one area we spent a lot of time working through. One phrase my counsellor said to me and which I still have to repeat to myself today is this. If is doesn’t smell right, taste right or feel right. IT ISN’T RIGHT. Our gut instincts are what keep us safe. It is easier said than done but try listen to your gut feelings and trust them. By doing so you will be being true to yourself and at the start of a journey to find inner peace xx

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content