mixed-up mum
Participant

Hi Eve – don’t think we have spoken since they started up the new forum – you remember me??

I haven’t really had time to think about my financial situation lately, my dad was in hospital for 10 weeks, and he passed away just at the end of 2015, we had the funeral 3 days ago, so things have been tough, but all of the worry with him has taken my mind off of my financial situation. didn’t give it a thought while he was so ill.

He gave me some money before he passed away which has really helped, given me a breathing space.
While he was ill I was spending a lot of time at the hospital.
I have not worked at all in the last two weeks, but went back to work on Thursday, I had to really , with no money coming in and no man to support me and my two teenage children I have to go back to work as being self-employed, if I don’t work no money comes in.

My housing benefit review is due again now and I have to fill in all those forms again to beg for money from then, it scares me every time, for I just can’t get by without housing benefit, so until I know I have got it again then I’m in limbo not knowing how we will manage…..

Anyeay enough of me – back to you – well done you for sticking at that job, I know how much you hated it – you should be so proud of yourself for sticking it out!!!! 🙂

Good luck with that interview – I hope you get it – its so important for our mental well-being and for being able to be a good parent if we are financially secure, when you don’t know if you can make ends meet and don’t know if you have enough to pay the bills AND eat – then the mental strain is so great and when you are under so much pressure – then you can’t be the mum you WANT to be.

I know I get so stressed and irritable when money is tight and I know I’m short tempered with the children – that’s not good – its not their fault.

I know just what you mean about feeling stupid – I have not got much qualifications, and have been in the same job since leaving school at 16, so I have very little to offer employers in the way of experience or qualifications.
I know I’m too stupid to study and better myself – I’m mid 40s and feel like my life is going nowhere.

But like you too I know my life is better since leaving my abuser, and I know me and my kids are so much happier now than we would have been if we had stayed with him – but the price we have had to pay for our freedom is not being able to support our family.

Sorry I have no advice or encouragement for you – just wanted you to know I understand how you feel.

Good luck with the interview, and let me know how you get on.

Love, mixed-up mum x*x

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content