mixed-up mum
Participant

Hi Chatterbox – how good it is to hear this – this is what I wanted to hear – from someone who had been through it all and come out the other side.

I just wanted to know if it is possible to love again and to be loved again……and if there really truely are decent men out there?????

If you read my post “bit better today” in Life After An Abusive Relationship you will see my current situation and how I’m feeling right now.

I have the impression from other ladies that I’m not yet ready for a relationship and to keep away from men…..

I’m not wanting someone to sleep with, and I’m not talking about moving him in – all I want is a bit of companionship, company of an evening, just to know I could go and see him, for a chat and a coffee, or even if we just sat and watched TV together – just having another dimension to my life besides working and being a mother – just to have someone who WANTED to spend time with me – someone who actually enjoyed my company – I don’t want anything else from him – In don’t want him taking me out for fancy meals and things like that – no – all I desire is his presence and his companionship.
Just something to give me a bit of ‘spark’ back in my life, a reason to get up – a reason to take pride in my appearance again – at the moment I feel so old and frumpy and ‘past it’ like no man will ever be interested in me ever again.

I don’t want to end up like me mam – her and dad split up more than 35 years ago – and in all that time she had never had a relationship – me and my sister grew up and left home and she is now all alone every day and every evening – I don’t want to be like that – I’m mid forties – with teenage kids – they won’t be here for ever and I don’t want to be alone and lonely……

I have not done freedom programme – but I think I would be able to recognise abusive behaviour if it ever happened to me again – and I would not hang around to be treated like that ever again….

Your post had give me a reason to hope that there ARE good men out there, and there IS hope of a happy relationship again one day……..

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content