Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Iamgone
      Participant

I am lonely. Left my abuser and moved in with a friend from work.
      He is poison. Don’t want to go back again. Hoping for some moral support if anyone’s out there? x

I have a business with him and another partner.
      I am a singer. him a guitarist. (detail removed by moderator)
      The last one is on Sunday.

I am absolutely dreading it. I haven’t been in contact unless it is to do with the business that i’ve bleed, sweated and cried my eyes out over.

Is he going to continue this abuse? Should I cut and run?
      Please tell me not to go back to him, that my life will get better? Hello all x

Tiffany
      Participant

Do not go back. Things will get better if you stay out and worse if you go back. It must be incredibly difficult having to have so much contact with him. Have you had any legal advice about separating your financial life? Glad you have managed to quit at least one of your joint ventures. Although I am sorry it had to come to that. The things we lose when we leave seem very unfair. But I promise you that a couple of years out and they will all seem a small price to pay.

I lost my home and my job, as well as cancelling my wedding and giving him most of my savings. I had to move hundreds of miles away and live with my parents. And I have no regrets. It was worth it to be rid of him.

Get through the upcoming event. Keep yourself safe and never allow yourself to be alone with him. If you can’t do that the cancel it. It’s ok to cancel it. It’s his fault not yours. Then gather your strength and get advice about what to do with the business side of things.

You can do it. You have the strength. In the meantime, look after yourself.

Iamgone
        Participant

Hi Tiffany,

Thanks so much for your message. I am sorry to say I had forgotton that I’d even signed up on here before. I knew i’d looked then tried to sign up again to be told i’d registered.
        I change my password and find a message from you.
        I’m sorry to hear that you went through a terrible time of it too.
        Glad you’re better off and hopefully I will feel like that in time!

I did the gig.. His Mum was a guest. It was awful. But I did it! Worked for years with him. Jollying along to have good days avoiding the inevitable. Tears on the way home.

I’ve managed to stay away from him, although he has been trying very hard to continue to control me in the other side of the business. Black mail and allsorts.
        He\s not going to pay me a penny. I have recently blocked his email and phone number as he wasn’t managing to keep it to the mediated business message.

He basically told me over the years that I would be better off not being on the business until it was built.. then until they changed accountant.. until this and that, until eventually I managed to get an agreement signed.. the only thing i could achieve.. along with a few weeks of hell to get it.
        I foolishly thought this would be enough to prove my worth.
        I invested loads of money. All my time and effort.. You know the feeling right?

My Mm and Dad have helped me so much. Helped me get a house. It needs work and they are helping me. But trying to talk to them about it all and where i’m at mentally and physically has taken it’s toll on them.. and me!

They would like to finish the house in a very swift way to see me settled and comfortable. However. It is over whelming me and I’ve also chased a promotion at my part time job, and gone full time.. which is great.. but not where my life was and therefore completely overwhelming also.
        I’m trying to get a routine for being on my own.. Lots of blank staring. I get up hours before I’m due to work so I can get on board the day.

I smoke a lot of weed. I have done for 20 + years. I understand it masks difficult emotions and why I have continued to do it during my later years.. when most would have given it up and moved on.

I told my family about it before my ex had the chance to say it. They took it well. Now they think it is causing all the stress with the house and my feelings.

I tend to agree.. I’m going to try to give up. This concerns me. I don’t want the vivid dreams.
        I wake up with a memory of a nightmare already and it terrifies me how bad that will get.

Sorry to message so much later. I’m glad I can tell you I have successfully left him.
        Sorry to say I am not feeling great.

Thanks again for reaching out.
        Appreciated.
        x
        X

Iwantmeback
      Participant

Hi well done fir leaving him, that is huge.
      Smoking w..d is not causing stress with the house, being in, leaving an abusive relationship and taking the time to heal is what’s the “problem”. Your brain shuts down trauma, when it knows you’re stronger to deal with the memories that’s when they start surfacing, usually in the form of nightmares or flashbacks. Sadly those who’ve not been abused don’t get it, so they’ll blame what they can understand,in your case smoking w..d.
      Keep doing what you’re doing, keep putting one foot in front of the other. If you feel overwhelmed, step back from the situation. Remember self love and self care, it’s paramount to our healing process.
      Best wishes IWMB 💞💞

Iamgone
      Participant

Thank you IWMB,

I appreciate you saying that.
      I feel like it may be a while to ‘get me back’. Have you had any success?
      x
      I am planning on trying to stop over the next couple of days… I will not spiral. I’ll quit quitting if it starts looking like that. Yes.. one foot in front of the other.
      Slow and steady progress is all I am looking for. No magic buttons. Biggest hill climbed. All others should be easy?!
      In time?!

Thanks for reaching out.

Iwantmeback
      Participant

No problem, we’re the only ones who get it at the end of the day. My two children both smoke, I’ve seen what it’s done to them, their dad condoned it, I was never interested, but will never judge. I’ve been or jyst over 6 months now. I woke one morning and acknowledged that my husband abused me, mentally, physically financially and sexually. The last part is so hard to get my head around, he didn’t physically force me to have sex, oh no it was much more subtle than that. The usual remarks of I’m not getting it someone else must be, I’m your husband, you’re my wife I can touch you anytime I want. If you loved me you’d do xyz.trauma bonding is very hard to untangle but I’m doing it baby step by baby step. I see him less and less, we have dogs, thankfully no children together. I planned leaving with the help of my local WA,it wasn’t until I said okay I’m ready to go that they pulled all the stops out. I’d got all our joint paperwork copied or have originals, I threw out or took things to charity shops. I stored things at my parents. I planned everything down to the last detail, I had and still have no intention of going back to him. Some major events happened prior to me leaving. I found my enough is enough moment, didn’t think I ever would. Once he crossed that line, that was us done. If he hadn’t came into my dads I would probably be further down the line to healing from him, but he did, and I felt I had no choice but to talk to him. He’s promised that he’ll change, or he’s changed, but he hasn’t. Went to counselling, which I knew wouldn’t work, he’s threatened, accused me of seeing other people, he’s played the poor me card, used a condition he had to emotionally blackmail me, threatened suicide, hit others to contact me cos they’re worried about him, you name it he’s tried it. He’s back to indifference now, from begging me to return that he needs me to now saying he doesn’t, he’s moving away. Its endless and not once have I wavered, all its fine is strengthen my resolve and show me I’ve made the right decision. I smile now, sometimes I catch myself just sitting with a smile playing on my lips,before I’d be accused of thinking of someone else. I really don’t remember the last time I just smiled fir no reason other than I’m happy with how my life is. It’s for getting better day by day. I have long term health issues but the pain levels have reduced significantly. Only flare up when he starts or I’ve tried to do to much because I’m not in the same level of pain. So the benefits to our physical health improves as does our mental health AND I’ve got money in my purse all the time now. Might not be a great amount but I’m not worrying about how I’m going to pay my bills now.
      Keep posting, keep learning, knowledge is power. There’s ah good book by Lundy Bancroft called why does he do that and another living with the dominator by pat Evans (I’m positive that’s her last nane) give them a look, I’ve got mine on my phone via kindle.
      Good luck with cutting down and stopping. Dont be too hard on yourself and practice self love. Eat healthily, drink plenty of water, exercise, bubble bath with loads of body cream afterwards, light some candles. Parent yourself, find something to hug, cat,dog,cushion,cuddly toy. Anything that makes you feel nurtured.
      Best wishes IWMB 💞💞

Iamgone
      Participant

Great tips. Thanks for the book references. Sorry to hear that happened to you.
      I understand the flare ups thing, when each time he gets in touch or I have any contact ( Which hasn’t been for a couple of weeks ) I feel riddled with badness, it shocks me that so many of us stick around for such a long time. The shame we feel for letting it happen to us. The shame of what our family and peers might say.
      By the end, and the time I found the strength to pack up over nigh, disappearing when he was away, after blackmailing me and ultimately promising to tell my family all about bad bits, I came to not caring what he might or might not say.
      I tried to take away the power in it. I told the people who mattered before he had chance and now am dealing with the emotions of the realisation in the back draft. All this is easier than every day with him, but I don’t feel like i’m in my prime to say the least even though I should be.
      I will take peace and calm over anything right now though and am thankful of it.
      I try and find quiet moments to sit quietly and stare blankly, which at the time feels like time wasting. It is something I can’t help my self from doing. I understand that it might be because of processing.
      Musn’t let it make me still forever.
      I think I’m going to find this site and group of woman really useful and although it feels strange to reach out I will try to continue.
      My Mum is going to a group to get help for my addiction.
      I worry that giving it up will not get rid of her shame about me.

6 Monthes is not far down the line of your new life and hope you continue to catch yourself smiling.
      Bring on the joy! How are you working, or have you already worked the dog situation out?
      I felt lucky that it was only me who was going through it, and although would have loved something to care for, wouldn’t have shared the care of anything or anyone with him.
      I feel for those who weren’t as fortunate.

I will try and put your advice into practice and take more care of myself and hope you do too!
      x
      Thanks for your messages both of you x

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content