Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Eggshells
      Participant

Long before Christians celebrated Easter, people celebrated the vernal equinox. It was a sacred time of fertility and rebirth, represented by the godess Oestra (pronounced Eastra).

The loss of goddesses in favour of one almighty, male God dealt a serious blow to the status of women – a downgrade that we still feel the effects of in the abuse that so many have suffered and still are suffering today.

Our stubbornly patriarchal society, that has been shaped by the church, for millennia, lends potency to the culture of treating women as subservients. The sanctity of womankind is lost.

In matriarchal societies, domestic abuse is almost non existent.

So, this spring I’d like to celebrate the sacred gift of rebirth that we are all experiencing. Whether we are just beginning to understand that we are being abused, whether we are preparing to leave or have already left, or whether we have chosen to stay and navigate a new path within an existing relationship, every day is a new day; every new dawn is a re-birth for us.

We are all sacred, we are all miraculous to survive the abuse we have suffered. However tough the road ahead, embrace the re-birth you experience with each new sunrise.

Celebrate yourselves this spring because if you are part of this forum then your re-birth is happening, whether your abuser likes it or not.

Sending love and strength to you all. xx

Twisted Sister
      Participant

Thank you for sharing this at Eastra. Happy Eastra to you. xx

Eggshells
      Participant

Thank you TS. And to you too. đŸ«‚

Hereforhelp
      Participant

Thank you for sharing this post… lots of ❀ eggshells, Happy Eastra 😊

Twisted Sister
      Participant

I have also seen over Easter a picture of a Babylonian and Assyrian goddess of fertility and sex, Ishtar, prounounced Easter, and I quote:

“Her symbols (like the egg and the bunny) were and still are fertility and sex symbols (or did you actually think eggs and bunnies had anything to do with the resurrection). After Constantine decided to Christianize the Empire, Easter was changed to represent Jesus. But at its roots, Easter (which is how you pronounce Ishtar) is all about celebrating fertility and sex.”

Its a shame we can’t post pictures here, as I wanted to share all the image of the goddess.

Do you think this might just be a different spelling of the same goddess, or something different? I don’t know the source of this particular quote.

ts

Eggshells
      Participant

Oestra was the Germanic/Anglo saxon version which I suspect came originally from the Ancient Greeks (judging by the spelling). You could be right that they are the same Goddess going by different names.

Constantine used alot of Pagan festivals to try and unite the different beliefs and convert pagans to Christianity. Up until that point, Jesus was known simpmy as a man; an incredible man but still just a man. Constantine understood that Jesus needed to be seen as divine before pagans would accept his preachings. That’s when he introduced the concept of Jesus as the son of God.

It is also thought that this was the time when Mary Magdalen was first portrayed as a prostitute. There are paper trails that suggest she was actually born into nobility. The theory is that Jesus married her. As the son of a carpenter born out of wedlock, this would have brought shame to Mary’s family and condemnation to both Jesus and Mary. Thus, the story of her being a reformed prostitute who followed Jesus around was formed. It was another blow dealt to the position and esteem in which women had previously been held.

nbumblebee
      Participant

Today I needed a boost I needed someone to tell me not to give up to keep pushing.
      This I needed to read today.
      Thank you @eggshells hope you have had a lovely easter xxxxxx

Eggshells
      Participant

Hi @Hereforhelp and @nbumblebee. Thank you. Love and best wishes to both of you. xx

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content