Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Janedoeissad
      Participant

Recently, since I left, some of my friends have opened up to me. Told me about the people in their lives who abused them. Mothers, Fathers, Aunts, partners have all done terrible things to my friends and I never even knew!

Its like they felt they couldn’t talk about it, that they would be judged. And now I am talking, they feel free to talk. They no longer have a secret. Everything is out in the open when they talk to me.

This has brought me so much closer to these friends. As much as some of what they say triggers me slightly, I am happy they are telling me. To know that I have my own “therapy group”, who understand and can share too, has made me feel so great. Strange that isn’t it?

I attended a group hosted by a mental health charity which was for anxiety the other day. Two guys admitted to being aggressive due to their anxiety. I do not need men who admit to nearly attacking people in the same group as me, I am sort of angry that I was allowed to be in the same group as them, did no one read what I had been through? So I decided stuff the group, I’ll stick with friend therapy!

backtome
      Participant

It’s so lovely to hear that even though your experience was terrible it has brought you closer to your friends. Also, well done on removing yourself from a triggering situation, it was obviously an oversight/ lack of knowledge on the part of the charity.

x

Janedoeissad
      Participant

Thanks for your message Backtome.

I was so worried the lady hosting the anxiety session was going to condone the behaviour of the two guys that it got me anxious. I did not want to be in a place where someone would defend actions like that, she didn’t but I’ve got myself to a good place where I know I was not in the wrong and he abused me and I didn’t want anyone to say something stupid (not intentionally) to unravel all my hard work.

As for my friends, I always thought I was the only one who had been through something like this. I now love these ladies more than I did before, they know me, they are a lot like me, so they know exactly what to say and they know when not to push. They have become a mini family. They helped get me out and now they are helping put me back together again. Between them and you lovely ladies on here, I feel better and stronger everyday.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content