Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Doris
      Participant

Hi everyone, can anybody recommend a good book on covert emotional abuse please? I have read ‘Why Does He Do that’ by Lundy Bancroft which is very informative but seems to be focussed more on physical abuse which I don’t have to deal with although I sometimes think it would be better because then the abuse would be clear and obvious. I experience very subtle and contrived abuse that can be so subtle I will later question whether I am just being paranoid or too sensitive. He is highly emotionally intelligent (I do not under-estimate him) and he chooses to use his intelligence to secretly get his way as the dominant partner by manipulating me like a puppet (I just don’t see it at the time). I am hoping there is a book out there that can identify the insidious tactics used by the truly secretive abuser just to assure myself that I am right and I am indeed dealing with a covert emotional abuser. Many thanks. X*X

KIP.
      Participant

I’ve recently discovered Evan Stark, who is an American psychologist who I believe was behind the research for the new coercive control laws in UK. His research is published online and he also has a best selling book. He is fantastic. He talks about abuse making us a non person. Have a look and see what you think, I was greatly impressed.

fizzylem
      Participant

This really helped me to understand covert aggressive behaviour, spot it, which is emotionally abusive…

In Sheep’s Clothing: Understanding and Dealing with Manipulative People by George K Simon

Its a small paper back and doesnt use jargon – easy to read, easy to digest.

From what you’ve said I think this would help you a great deal; although I’d be suprised if he is highly emotionally intelligent, as it’s usually a lack of this that leads to abuse, I’m wondering if he’s highly intellectually intelligent and emotionally manipulative as this combination is more likely. x

Copperflame
      Participant

I was just going to suggest in Sheep’s Clothing but noticed that Fizzylem has already recommended it. It’s an excellent book that names and describes all the covert manipulation tactics that you couldn’t give a name to. Along with Lundy it’s one of my favourite books. There is also another book by the same author called Character Disturbance which follows on from in Sheep’s Clothing and which is also worth reading.

Love Copperflame x

Doris
      Participant

My thanks for your replies. My reading material for the next few weeks. X*X

Doris
      Participant

Forgot to say. You’re probably right, fizzylem, he may be intellectually intelligent rather than emotionally intelligent. It was just an observation from my neighbour who said a couple of years ago when discussing his ‘anger issues’ that he had high emotional intelligence as she was an Occupational Therapist and I believed her.

Iwantmeback
      Participant

My oh reads people very well, maybe because they remind him of himself. He’s not emotionally mature or intellectually clever, but he’s not stupid and knows how to get what he wants.
      I believe psychologists would have a field day with people like him. 😏

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content