Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Tend
      Participant

Hi, I have been ask Today to get help with legal aid I need proof of DV,
      The therapist I seen will only state I came to him with anxiety and depression not what caused it. So this have left me at a blank wall, as the people are happy to help with Legal aid providing a Organization can fill out there blank template.
      I feel like giving up Because the years of abuse I haven’t documented it’s just stuck in my head like a bad dream. And the person I did open up to Says because of BACP Policy they are only able to disclose dates of attendance. I don’t know what to do Any advice because I’m slowly giving up I’m jumping constant hurdles while still dealing with his psychological abuse daily xx

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi Tend

I just wanted to show you some support, I can see that you have posted this on another thread but I thought it would be easier for you to see if I reply to this post.

You could ask your local domestic abuse service to do this for you https://www.womensaid.org.uk/domestic-abuse-directory/

Victim support may also be able to help with the paperwork you need.

I hope this helps but keep posting to let us know how things are

Lisa

fizzylem
      Participant

It’s the GP that fills in a template letter for legal aid anyway – this is all you need.

I would ask them for a copy of your notes again, they can’t really refuse this, although it sounds like they will try, it’s unlawful if they do, you shouldn’t have any problem at all with this if it is an NHS session, you can request these notes through the receptionist by filling out a form; it may well be that there is something in these notes that logs the abuse. This forms some of the evidence to support your statement for your case though, it’s not a legal aid requirement.

I was met with similar, I had to persist, and when I did actually get the notes they really helped to support my statement – a great deal – so I would say it is worth checking out.

I would say you would also like the confirmation letter of the dates you attended, incase you need this later. This person needs to learn that notes are sometimes asked for and it is a legal requirement to hand them over if it forms part of your medical record.

There’s a difference between the therapist’s process notes and the record / notes to record the session, the therapist may try and fob you off saying he/she only has process notes; but in terms of good practice, and BACP guidelines, there should be recorded notes of the session, even if they just say attended, but most therapits will write a short summary of the session.

If this person refuses ask if they could check this with their line manager and supervisor, and say that you really don’t want to have to make a complaint to BACP or to the relevant dept in this agency but you will if needed. To be fair it’s a pretty old fashioned way of working. Historically, therapists have been ‘advised’ not to supply notes of sessions in private practice, to protect the self and the client, but a court can order these. But this is because the courts usually require someone better qualified to make a court report, usually a GP, psychiatrist or a psycologist, but you are not asking this person to attend court or write a report, you are merely asking for the notes to support your statement – why wouldn’t they want to help you here? By giving you the notes it does not mean they will be required to give evidence in court at all. They are your notes for your use only.

Hope this helps!

Tend
      Participant

Thank you for you advice guy very helpful gosh you wouldn’t know how much!!,
      I have received a letter from the therapist just stating my anxiety and depression and the dates I attend.
      Iv got in touch with the GP and they will call me Monday so I will explain my situation then.
      I remember seeking help from my GP years ago about the how he made me feel they gave me meds to help but he said I wasn’t allow to take them because it was in all in my head so I didn’t go back For review, I hope this doesn’t Jeopardise anything historical abuse is so hard to resolve, And even if it’s ongoing how serious do they take if we are no long a couple? xx

fizzylem
      Participant

You can order a copy of your medical record, say for the last 10 years, or just request the records that show you talked of the abuse; it doesn’t really matter how long ago it was – this info is evidence, that you collate with other evidence like this to ‘support your statement’. You can request you WA notes as well if you ever called them x

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content