Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Desert@orchid
      Participant

Sometimes I feel I was to blame for the breakdown of my marriage. I hardly ever answered back when he would say things that upset me. I would just let it happen. When I left the relationship he said to me that it was my fault that he was controlling I made him that way. He used to sort out our finances etc and then he blamed me for taking a back seat with everything. I just always felt he was better with dealing with things. Although I feel so much stronger now as a person it still leaves me with doubt that it was somehow my fault

Hereforhelp
      Participant

Hey desertorchid, the answer is no, it wasn’t your fault. They all blame us or someone else, they never take responsibility. He sorted out your finances to remain in control, he was verbally abusive to you to keep you down/keep you in your place (it is how they think).

You are growing in strength đź’Ş don’t look back, keep moving forwards and away from the abuse you suffered, he is responsible for what he did, you were not responsible for any of his actions, that’s all on him. You loved this man and were bonded to him, you may have planned a future together, I know I did with my abusive husband (I am many many months out now and zero contact, only way children and I could heal).

The Freedom Programme is really helpful, it helped me a lot and I am going to do it again.

❤

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content