Tagged: 

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Baba2020
      Participant

Husband got drunk last night and was verbally abusive to (detail removed by moderator) in front of our kids. I sai mentioned this morning that this was unacceptable. He’s now saying I’m a moaning, judgmental u can imagine the rest. All men get drunk why am I ruining his Xmas. He can’t actually remember it happening and us saying it’s Christmas he can do what he likes and I’m a (detail removed by moderator).

KIP.
      Participant

No you’re not wrong and he’s giving you the typical abuser response. To blame you and put the spotlight on you. To call you vile names is domestic abuse. If he can’t remember then how does he know how bad it was? I bet he absolutely can remember but like a typical abuser simply won’t accept that his behaviour is unacceptable. It’s also child abuse for his children to witness abuse. There’s absolutely no point in arguing with him because he will simply gaslight you, lie to you, deny and it leaves your head spinning. You witnessed it and yes men do get drunk but they certainly do not abuse the (detail removed by moderator) and then abuse you. He’s also making your life miserable when you dare to question his actions. This is coercive control. Next time you witness him being abusive you will remember the hard time he gave you and his plan is that you won’t question him again because you will get abused. He knows exactly what he’s doing x it him that is ruining Xmas. Not to mention the (detail removed by moderator) who doesn’t deserve that kind of behaviour.

KIP.
      Participant

Remember your children learn from their parents. They learn what ‘normal’ behaviour is and they’re learning that abuse is okay because their father perpetrates it. Children from abusive homes are far more likely to be abused themselves as adults.

KIP.
      Participant

A simple way to decide if his behaviour is ok is to ask yourself if you would behave in this manner?

Baba2020
      Participant

Thank u so much forthe reply. I feel like I’m going mad. I question my own sanity. This is getting worse. He gets drunk days he can’t remember. Last time he verbally abused for about (detail removed by moderator) hours. Calling fat ugly no one else would want me. The usual. And I still feel broken from that I’ve had to quit my job as I couldn’t stand the pressure and atmosphere because he thinks I’m having affairs with anyone and everyone. But then I feel like I’m being dramatic because he doesn’t hit me. But I am scared of him because he goes really really quiet and that frightens me.

Hetty
      Participant

I’m so sorry to read what you’re going through. My ex wasn’t physical on very many occasions. It was the emotional abuse that terrified me the most. Everything from stonewalling to raging in my face. He made up the most disgusting name for me. You’ll never flourish with a man like that in your life. Truth is all that he says to you is how he feels about himself. They need us to be hurt so they can feel powerful. We are nothing more than an emotional punchbag.
      You are not being dramatic. Take some time to think through your options. You don’t have to live like this and not do your children. Xx

KIP.
      Participant

Sounds like my ex. I had to give up work because of my ex and it made me even more dependent on him. It’s what he wants. It’s part of his controlling behaviour. You’re scared of him. That’s a huge red flag. No one should be scared of their life partner. Contact your local women’s aid. You’re living in a very abusive relationship and these men don’t have to hit us. The threat of violence is often enough to destroy us and keep us under their control. They are liars too. Gaslighting and lying is normal for them. It makes us feel crazy like we are losing a sense of reality. That’s abuse. He remembers exactly what he does. He chooses to abuse you x

Baba2020
      Participant

Thank u for taking time to reply. As the day has gone on its now my fault if I was a better wife he wouldn’t need to drink. I make his life stressful so he has to get drunk because I make him so miserable. He won’t leave the house. I feel so ashamed and embarressed

Hetty
      Participant

It’s not your fault. You have nothing to feel ashamed about. Nothing to feel embarrassed about. These are things he should be feeling but instead he dumps them at your door. We are nothing more than emotional punchbags. The truth is we are good women. Look how many women post on here. We are from all walks of life. Domestic abuse is in every part of our society. My son’s dad is an alcoholic. When we were together he drank too much but he still functioned. Of course he blamed me. But guess what?! I left and years and years on he is still drinking and barely functioning. I think that says it was nothing to do with me and everything to do with him. If you can, let his words wash over you. These men are liars. Educate yourself. I’ve read loads on websites and there are great videos on YouTube. Reach out for support so you can consider your options. My ex was going nowhere so I had to leave Xx

gettingtired
      Participant

Your post and the comments reminded me that my partner used to be verbally abusive towards (detail removed by moderator) sometimes. Admittedly some were very rude to us/him but I used to be so embarassed and anxious with him storming out the car, slamming doors, taking pictures of the car and driver threatening to report them. I knew I would then be walking on eggshells when we went in as he would be in a bad mood. Horrible just horrible. Sorry to hear youre going through it as well. Hoping 2021 will be the year to get out xx

KIP.
      Participant

Humiliating us in public is another tactic they use to destroy our self esteem and our confidence. Eventually I stopped going out which is exactly what my ex wanted. Me stuck at home where he could keep an eye on me and I could run after him. They destroy our mental health.

Catjam
      Participant

My son in law rarely drinks but when he does he can be vile. The last time it happened he was awful to my grandson who heard him calling his mum names. He apologised as soon as he was sober and hasn’t touched a drop of booze since because he was so ashamed of how he had treated them.
      What I am trying to say is, that your husband chooses to use alcohol as an excuse for his abuse but in reality it’s just another way to attack you.
      You have done nothing wrong and should not blame yourself.
      Focus on building your confidence and get help from refuge or women’s aid.
      Take care

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content