Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Wants To Help
      Participant

I love analogies. My DA Support Worker used quite a few with me whilst I was working with her and they really helped me to see things from a different perspective and help me make different decisions. Last night, a new one came in to my head, so I thought I’d share it with you.

Imagine that you have an illness where you are feeling tired all of the time, run down, emotionally drained, sometimes in really bad, physical pain, other times just ‘not yourself’? You go to your GP and he/she tells you that you have a serious disease, it is life changing and possibly terminal. The only way to get through this is to have treatment for it if you want to be well again, otherwise, you will just deteriorate further. Initially, you don’t want to believe this, so you decide to get a second opinion to confirm it, just in case your GP is wrong. But the second opinion confirms the same thing, and treatment is the only way to survive this. You need an operation.

How many of us would have the treatment? How many of us would go to hospital for that operation to get rid of that possibly fatal disease, but at the worse, a debilitating one? A disease that we don’t want our children to see us suffer with.

Now imagine that disease is your abuser…

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content