Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Daff
      Participant

I’ve been avoiding taking them for a while now but yesterday I had a panic attack. I’m just wondering if any one has found them helpful, I didn’t want to have to rely on them. I’ve tried but I’m nit sure I can do it by myself anymore

Scapegoat
      Participant

Hi Daff, I was prescribed anti depressants after suffering from anxiety, depression amd panic attacks due to abuse. At first they made me feel awful ( I have tried others that weren’t good)I felt nauseous, dizzy amd v detached but then I changed the time I took them ( take them as soon as I get up now rather than before bed) and they have helped me to see things much more clearly, they have calmed me down and also helped me to button my mouth! They can leave you feeling quite numb and empty but opposed to the constant panic that suited me.
      Could you try them at beginning of weekend maybe? They do take a while to work and you can’t just stop taking them.
      It took me about 3/4 attempts to find ones that suited me – (detail removed by moderator).

Hope that helps xx

Eggshells
      Participant

Hi Daff

Yes, I take antidepressants too.

I’m on quite a low dose compared to the dose I took whilst I was still with my ex.

I take them before bedtime and usually they plunge me into a deep sleep (according to my smart watch).

I found that getting a decent night’s sleep just gave me what I needed to help me cope.

I have been on them for a while and don’t intend to come off them until I’m settled I’m my own home with a stable income.

Daff
      Participant

A decent night sleep sounds good. I didn’t want to take them but after the panic attack I feel like I need something. I’m just so worried about the side affects and feeling spaced out. I look after the children by myself and need to be able to do things with and for them. I just want to try and move forward.

Eggshells
      Participant

I’ll be honest, I’ve never felt spaced out on them, not even when I was on a really high dose. On a high dose I didn’t really feel great emotion but I was never spaced out.

Daff
      Participant

Do they stop you feeling happiness, I lost myself during the relationship and want to find out which I am. I’m afraid that it would stop me from learning about me.

Eggshells
      Participant

They don’t stop you feeling happiness any more than depression does. When I was on the highest dose, I didn’t feel extremes of any emotion but I did feel happy. Mainly I felt calm and relaxed and I was alot more chilled out so much happier. On the low dose I take now, they don’t really mask any feelings. They just help me sleep.

Notanymore
      Participant

Hi Daff.
      I was taking antidepressants and anxiolytics for years while I was still married.
      Soon after my divorce I was told I didn’t need them. I got help from a psychologist.
      I’m trying to manage without them though sometimes it’s hard.
      Today I was thinking of asking my GP if I should take them again.
      That’s why I’m in the Forum now. This isn’t easy. I sometimes feel I won’t be able to enjoy life again.
      Reading your comments helps me feel understood and less lonely. I hope with time the bad days will be less frecuent and not as dark.
      We’re strong intelligent women. We’re survivors and we should be proud of ourselves.

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2015 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content