Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      thankgoodness
      Participant

I am so used to familial abuse from my brother that there was a time where I was numb to coercion and sexual abuse from an ex platonic friend. My brain was weird to feel numb to that level of abuse.

Do any of you feel numb to other serious abuses because you have suffered familial abuse?

hop
      Participant

I think so. I’ve had some outrageous relationships (platonic) because I just accepted people’s behaviour. A few years ago I decided to rid myself of everyone who made me feel bad about myself and I can say getting rid of all their negativity helps. I do think that when I form relationships I find it hard not to try and be this perfect version of myself and all the attention is on that as opposed to sussing out people’s motives for friendships etc..because of ho I grew up.

KIP.
      Participant

Mine is the other way around. After an abusive husband I’m now discovering close family members are abusive in a different way 🙈 yes I’m numb. Especially with added outside stresses. Overloaded emotions time to switch off x

hop
      Participant

I’m sorry to hear that kip. I started seeing that friends could be abusive and started dropping them a little while back. It’s not nice when you realise that you put up with terrible abuse without even knowing that’s what it was.

fizzylem
      Participant

Abuse in others was something that didn’t register in me when growing up – this was just how people behave sometimes – was usually something to be laughed about; nowadays I feel stressed and anxious instantly and get out of the way, walk on by – make a point of avoiding anyone like this. Only have soft gentle folk around me these days x

Alittlelost
      Participant

Yes. My father abused me from early child to late teen. I left home and went straight to my partner now and he is abusive too.

thankgoodness
      Participant

Thanks everyone for the replies, I feel less alone in this situation. I kept all this abuse depression inside me for many years because of the shame but it’s 2020 and I feel more braver to talk about it.

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2015 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content