Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Happiermex
      Participant

Hello I am free from my abuser but feel I need to try and work on myself, I was wondering if anyone can advise any self help books?

KIP.
      Participant

‘Healing from hidden abuse‘ is a good book, I also read about assertiveness which helped my confidence. The Body Keeps The Score is all about trauma and how it affects us. And Mind Over Mood is a good cognitive behaviour book. Not sure if they’re ‘self help’ in the way you mean but they really helped me in my journey.

clarityneeded
      Participant

Agree with KIP, ‘Healing from hidden abuse’ is great. I am also listening to an audiobook of ‘Out of the FOG’ by Dana Morningstar, she explains clearly the effects of FOG – fear, obligation, guilt, and its helping me see the effect my abuser has had on me and the reasons keeping me stuck. But not for long now hopefully getting everything in place to leave.

Sunshineee
      Participant

Vex King – Good vibes, good life.

It’s amazing❤️ Life changing read x

iliketea
      Participant

I’ll bump the booklist, there’s some really good suggestions. The Lundy book When Dad Hurts Mom is child centred and really good if you have children. I read the Covert Passive Aggressive N********t by Debbie Mirz and was really helped by it and the Healing from Hidden Abuse. Im now working through CPTSD Surviving to Thriving by Peter Walker. All on Audible too. See What You Made Me Do, is very good but very hard core, describing effects of physical violence mostly in Australia – based on research and stats but a lot of it resonated even though I didnt experience physical violence, its all about power and control at the end of the day.
      Also Podcasts – Caroline Strawson does a good basic short one. And she has a good FB page, Im currently doing her Trauma Recovery School but you have to pay for it, it is amazing though. Week 2 and Im very very impressed.
      Hope that helps. xx

Watersprite
      Participant

Bumping for #nogoingback

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content