Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      dreameroftheday
      Participant

Everything was fine while I was in the refuge, but once I found a flat they were telling me I needed to leave immediately as housing benefit would no longer cover me at the refuge. I was rushed out and had to collect my belongings bit by bit over the course of a week, which they were not happy with. They immediately gave my room to someone else so they kept calling me telling me to pick up my stuff. I ended up with bruises on my arms from carrying heavy bags 40 mins, two buses away. They also forced me to take the bedding from my room saying it was in a bad condition, which is how it was from day one in my room. I assumed it was a bit scruffy on account of many women being in and out of the place. They also owe me as I overpaid service charges as they never had change and insisted on cash payments. I’m not even in my flat yet as I had nothing. I have been staying with my boyfriend for 3 weeks but it’s not ideal and I get the feeling his mum doesn’t really like me around. I’m just fed up now and I didn’t expect this, as I made friends in the refuge and none of them were rushed out once they got a flat. They stayed at the refuge until everything was ready but I was told I wouldn’t be able to do that.

KIP.
      Participant

Sounds not very nice but try to be positive. You will soon have your own space. With a front door to close and feel safe. It won’t be long before you’re in a routine. At least the refuge was safe for you. I know they are under a lot of pressure. Perhaps once you’re recovered a little, Send them a thank you letter then add a bit about your dissapointment x good luck in your new home x

dreameroftheday
      Participant

I’ll definitely send a thank you to my support worker, she really helped me. It was other staff members who ruined it for me. My support worker said I should never have been forced to take bedding just because it was in a bad condition. She said they would usually dispose of it. I’m still waiting for the money that I overpaid. I know for a fact that if I owed them money I’d be getting lots of phone calls and messages. I never caused any trouble when I was there. I kept my room tidy, always paid the charges on time. I’m just baffled as to why everyone else has had such a positive time after leaving but I haven’t. They also lost the card that said exactly what they owe me, and my file was temporarily lost after it was put back with the current residents instead of the archives. All I can think is I must have really bad luck.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content