Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      SingleMomSurvivor
      Participant

Hi ladies. Just something I thought of today that I wanted to share. When I was with my abusive ex I thought that being nice to him would stop the abuse. I thought that if I could just phrase things the “right way”, or use the right tone, or not raise my voice (even though he raised his voice all the time), or find the right time of day to have a conversation, or make him laugh, then maybe he would stop being abusive. I thought that if I could figure out how to not upset him and figure out his triggers then he would be able to have a disagreement without cursing me out, calling me names, gaslighting me or hitting me. The reality is there is nothing I could have ever done to stop the abuse besides leaving him. He wasn’t abusing me because I wasn’t nice enough to him, in fact at one point the nicer I was, the more abusive he became. He was abusing me because he is an abuser and he enjoyed it.

I feel like sometimes we torture ourselves trying to figure out how we can use niceness to stop the abuse. The abuse isn’t happening because of anything you did or didn’t do. Being nice to an abuser won’t stop the abuse. I hope this helps. Love you ladies 💜

Watersprite
      Participant

Thank you for posting this – SO true! I hope you are doing well. Just to add my IDVA called this safety planning when she said that it a lightbulb moment for me 💕

SingleMomSurvivor
        Participant

Thank you Watersprite💜. You are so right in that it is also safety planning. We are nice in an effort to stop ourselves from being further abused and keep ourselves safe. Thank you for adding that.

Beetrainball
        Participant

I am new to site but seeing this is a relief my ppartner is a verbal and emotional abuser, and from reading the above, make me realise its not me that is the issue. Valentines (detail removed by moderator) I then got upset later and said (detail removed by moderator)

nbumblebee
      Participant

I do this all the time. Stay calm and quiet not say wheni disagree or just be nice regardless to what he is saying to me because i dont want confruntation i dont want him to get angry.
      I feel thats a reason why we lose ourselves as we often dont get the chance to speak to do what we want as we just want them to be happy.
      Thanks for posting makes you think doesnt it? X*x

SingleMomSurvivor
        Participant

I can relate! I think what also makes it hard is that sometimes when we’re nice it does stop the abuse temporarily. When that would happen to me it would just reinforce the idea that if I could just say or do the right thing then I could stop him from becoming so angry with me. It can all be so confusing. Ultimately though nothing I said ever made him permanently stop abusing me. For me it didn’t get a lot better until I left & I had distance from him.

nbumblebee
        Participant

Yeah you are right here too. I am in month 2 of a calm quiet spell not perfwct but no big blow ups and i think that because im not doing anything he doesnt agree with apart from work im just quiet so he is calm but its not a happy life is it? Those eggs shells are still there and i have to watch what i say all the time. Tough this isnt it xxxxx

Ariadne
      Participant

That’s definitely true and something I needed reminding of!
      That feeling of walking on eggshells and trying to appease can be so draining, and then if you trigger him you start analysing all the ways that you could have said things differently, and then that wouldn’t have happened. But if it’s someone that just respects you, they won’t be abusive like that.
      Thanks for this post!

SingleMomSurvivor
        Participant

Yes! The walking on eggshells & trying to appease & the analyzing is so draining. I would spend days and days analyzing. I really like what you said about how if a person respects you then they won’t do abusive things & you don’t have to walk on eggshells & worry about triggering them.

nbumblebee
        Participant

Yeah it really is exhausting constantly watching whay you say if I even mention a He or a mans name its like he hears nothing else hes on accusing me of having an affair. I have to be on my guards 24/7 even during calm spells.

Teaandcats
      Participant

Preach, SMS 💜
      I needed this reminder today. Thank you

Lottieblue
      Participant

Great thread, encapsulates so much of what our struggles are, why we are sent slowly round the bend. Because we carefully plan how to be nice, how not to upset (we walk on eggshells), and when that doesn’t work we try to figure out what will. Why that wasn’t enough. It’s extraordinary – even though we know, from experience, that it won’t make a difference, we keep trying. And we keep believing that we can make a difference, if only we can figure out the way to do it. But nothing works, and it drives us slowly round the bend because we keep trying.

I tried to speak calmly to him once when he was yelling at me and he accused me of being patronising, speaking to him like a child.

However straightforward it is, though, the value of these lightbulb moments is monumental. They provide us with sorely needed clarity.

Love to all x*x

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content