Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Althea
      Participant

Hi,

I’m trying to manage my anxiety, but after leaving my emotionally abusive relationship at the (detail removed by Moderator) I feel like giving up. I fled our jointly mortgaged property with our two children and we have been staying with family, we have signed a council tenacy but just as we’re about to move in the capital disregard on the property is due for review for Universal Credit payments. I have been the main caregiver since my children were born and due to reduced hours this has now put me in a financially precarious situation. I’m struggling to negotiate with my ex regarding the property, he says I actually need to pay him for him to buy me out as according to him I owe him a significant sum of money for removal costs, solicitors fees from when we purchased it. On the other hand the council required me to obtain some legal advise on forcing a sale. I have recently accessed some legal aid, initially my support worker said I wouldn’t be entitled to it as I hadn’t gone to the police. I feel I’ve messed itessed up and now we have our own place but probably no way to pay the rent, bills or groceries. Sorry for the ramble but does anyone have any advice? Has anyone had the capital disregard extended past 26 weeks? It’s not like I can use it to feed the kids! Thanks for reading.

x*x

Hazydayz
      Participant

Oh…I’m feeling for youđź’— what a difficult situation! Your facing right now. I just wanted to show you some Support, and wish you a successful outcome. Good luck Althea đź’ž

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi Althea,

I am sorry to hear how difficult things are for you. Have you contacted Turn2us? They have a free and confidential helpline on 0808 802 2000 and a website full of information- https://www.turn2us.org.uk

Please do let us know how you are doing when you can.

Best wishes,

Lisa

iliketea
      Participant

In exactly the same position, just been stopped. Have you applied for another e tension. The benefits advisor said unlikely but worth putting in for it.
      Seems mad. Especially with lockdown happening again and no jobs around, and schools possibly being closed. I’m wondering about starting one of those Change.org petitions as I think this will be affecting a lot of women in domestic abuse situations. I can’t believe the government think it’s right to do this. In the meantime I’ve been told to contact my local MP. And possibly the papers. I haven’t slept since I heard. CMS not working properly either and still haven’t got any payments from him. It’s so true what they say about experiencing abuse from the system after you leave. Hoping they see sense with your situation. Dm if you want? Xx

queenmaeve
      Participant

This is all so wrong! the whole system needs to be looked at again. I would get an mp involved and give the CAB a call. Why should you and your children suffer? it’s just unfair.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content