Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Escapee
      Participant

Hi ladies,

Can anyone recommend reading material to help me get my recovery moving forward in relation to Monopolisation of perception.

Basically, my belief system has been trashed. For example, even though logically I know it is ok to go out after dark I find that I’m not able to due to conditioning.
      I find myself unable to trust my own perceptions of problems, solutions and situations. If I allow myself to consider anything I need to do (even go food shopping) I find myself freezing with indecision and doubt; it is driving me crazy! (Well, crazier 🙄).

Thank you 💕🌼

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Good evening Escapee.

I am not aware of any reading material specifically around the monopolisation of perception, but perhaps you would find Evan Stark’s book ‘Coercive Control’ helpful. It is quite an in-depth study into the psychological and emotional side of domestic abuse and may touch on some of the areas you are interested in.

Have you been able to access any counselling at all? The Counselling Directory has details of professionals in your area with experience in domestic abuse, this may also be something to look into.

Take care,

Lisa

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content