Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Melonballs
      Participant

I’ve been looking to buy the books that have been recommended here.

Question is, how do you all read them? (If I get a bit secretive,like hiding the cover etc, I get questioned on what I’m reading).

I absolutely hate kindle, e-books etc, and my tablet is linked with his amazon account. (I do have my own account on my phone, but again, e-books…. eugh)!!!

And he could always look at my phone anyway….. Why have I changed my password, yada yada…

gettingtired
      Participant

I listened to an interview with Lundy Bancroft the author of Why does he do that? he said so many women had asked him why his books didn’t come with a special fake cover to put over the top! If only!
      I’ve found this a bit tricky too and have had a few moments where I’ve had to quickly hide the books. My partner isn’t too nosey in that sense though so I’ve managed to trick him a bit.
      I tend to read mostly when I’m in the bath. Then if I hear him coming in I put it on the side and place just any old book on top of it so it looks like I’ve got a selection of books. That may not work for everyone though. If you’re used to locking the door whilst you have a bath that might work. It takes a bit of creativity actually! I’ve even thought about making a makeshift cover for mine! x

Anonymous
      Inactive

E-books for me… if you’re still with your abuser it’s not a particularly wise option to read a physical book with a cover ‘The Verbally Abusive Relationship’ or ‘Living with the dominator’ at home 😬

I was actually able to join up with my local library who have both a physical and a digital library and download their app on my phone. They had a couple of the books I was interested in reading in their digital archives but I do live somewhere fairly big and central, it might be different if you live somewhere small or a bit rural and your local library is not stocked up to the rafters.

Perhaps you could get a physical book delivered to your workplace and keep it at work in your drawer if this is possible? It would mean that you’d only be able to access it at work but lunch hours/breaks and sneaking time before or after work to read might be an option.

Eggshells
      Participant

What about “Audible”. I got 2 of the books for a free trial then unsubscribed. There will be an icon on your phone but you should be able to hide it from the main screen. He’d have to actually click on the icon and then go into the library to see your books. Tbh I find them more accessible in audio form.

Catjam
      Participant

I hate reading on a device too but found it was the only way I could read them. I used to have them on my phone and read in the car or whenever I had chance. I did have physical books too and used to hide them and read when he wasn’t about.
      It’s not easy at all. He does ask what I am reading but I usually open up a different one, luckily mine can’t work technology so I can hide stuff without too much difficulty.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2015 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content