Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author

I know a couple of us on here have ptsd / complex-ptsd.

Can we have a support thread for that?

Does anyone else suffer with bruxism and generally tense muscles?

My c-ptsd cause the usual round of flashbacks, nightmares, hyper vigilance, and so on, but also permanently tense muscles all over my body, and very tense jaw, I grind my teeth in my sleep (bruxism) and also chew my tongue – does anyone else do this and are there any ways in which you’ve found help ease the symptoms?

I can’t get a mouth guard as having foreign objects in my mouth is very triggering unfortunately.

Thank you – LBP xx

KIP.
      Participant

Hey there, i was given a relaxation cd where you concentrate on the muscle groups individually from feet up. Tensing and squeezing, holding, then releasing while recognising the tension how it feels before and after. Its a kind of hypnosis. I found it really helped with the sore shoulders chest and neck I had for years. I used to bite my arm in my sleep. Dont know how i didnt usually wake myself up but used to find bite marks in the same place on my wrist. That seems to have passed now so maybe its just a matter of time? Hang in there and keep being kind to yourself x

Peaceful Pig
      Participant

Hi LBP, I suffered with c-ptsd for a large part of my life but have been virtually free of symptoms for around a year now. I get triggers but am able to control things pretty quickly and I no longer have nightmares or flashbacks. I no longer find myself jumpy or totally freaking out at a sudden noise or unexpected touch. I would also grind my teeth due to tension and anxiety. I don’t know if it would help you prevent the bruxism, but I used to do a 15 minute online yoga for trauma session every evening. It helped me to feel more aware of my body and the sensations I felt, it reset my system back to the parasympathetic nervous system and helped me feel safe in the moment. I wonder if doing this before bed would perhaps release some of the muscle tension? Hope it helps xx

Anonymous
      Inactive

I was diagnosed with ptsd but I feel i have lived with it from a very young age

My ex used my past against me in emotional abuse
      He made me sicker.. i cant walk very far ..without my muscles in my legs going tight

Also i have neck arm pain due

Iam.very hypervigilant when I go out the house

Serenity
      Participant

Hi,

I used to grind my teeth in my sleep due to anxiety. My teeth were so painful, I thought I had some terrible infection. The dentist suggested it was caused by grinding.

My PTSD is improving. I would say it’s 50% better. Time does heal. It’s important to keep on doing the things that relax you regularly. Those things will be different for different people.

Nova
      Participant

Hi LBP bruxism…I have it bad…actually have broke a dental bridge and suffering with that ++anxiety )now I’m told it will cost 2 k for implants ( can’t afford…What’s worse is all these symptoms, are constant reminders.

Terrible neck tension Headaches are scary topped off with insomnia..it’s a hang up from him, I used to sleep on the edge of the bed and had jaw tension &hip pain from being so tense..even breathing weird.
      I got 2 frozen shoulders (1 after the other) unbelievable pain…and tinnitus…all from anxiety…sometimes I feel so weary…basically just worn out.

Physical + being emotionally fragile Goodness knows how we keep going hey!

C

Ayanna
      Participant

I have fibromyalgia and IBS from all the abuse. My jaws are destroyed from abuse. I am hypervigilant and see most people as my enemies.
      I have become worse with self care since the beginning of this year, which means I only leave the house for work and do not look after myself properly.
      I have no idea whether any of my issues will ever improve.
      I have started therapy recently and that grey cloud in my head has become thicker since then.

SunshineRainflower
      Participant

I have PTSD symptoms and my dentist sent me off to the dental hospital for problems with my jaw, the surgeon thinks I grind my teeth and said the muscles in my head are very tight. He wants me to wear a mouth guard but I had one fitted and it’s so uncomfortable! I have daily aches and pains, yoga helps a lot but I have to do it daily feels like a bit of a struggle as when I’m tired and achy I just want to lie down.

Lightness
      Participant

really interesting post. I have been grinding my teeth for years and never questioned why until now.

Relieved
        Participant

Yes, me too – never thought it could be connected to the abuse! I also had really bad headaches connected to muscle tension in neck and shoulders that were only helped by repeated chiropractic treatments(I can’t afford it now). Will have a go at yoga.

Lightness
      Participant

Hi Relieved – me too with the chiropractic treatment. My chiro recommended yoga to me and since doing that i have been so much better. I really hope you get great results too!
      Mindfullness is great too – like the headspace app

Sorry – I’ve been away from the site a while!

It’s staggering seeing how many of you suffer the same problems!

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2015 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content