This topic contains 5 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Lisa 4 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author
     bluhead 
    Participant

Hi, my partner becomes more abusive and unstable. I have a dog and I don’t want to lose it.

I’m afraid I may lose it if I go to refuge. Anyone know can I go to refuges with my dog?

Lisa 
    Main Moderator

Hi there,

If you need more information about refuge call the National Domestic Violence Helpline. Their number is 0808 2000 247. They can talk through any options with you.

Best Wishes
    Lisa

Iwantmeback 
    Participant

Most refugees won’t allow pets, I’ve heard that dogs trust won temporarily look after your pet until you’re in a position to have them back. Many abusers hurt our furbabies, my oh does.😥
    IWMB 💕💕

maddog 
    Participant

RSPCA runs a scheme called Pet Retreat which fosters animals in cases of domestic abuse. Although they don’t operate in my area, they were very kind and did their best to help.

It is a real pity that there is no nationwide facility for fostering dogs or any other animal when people need to escape.

Zizi 
    Participant

Refuge should allow pets providing you can keep them in your room

Lisa 
    Main Moderator

Hi Bluhead,

Just to clarify, in general refuges do not accept dogs. There are however excellent pet fostering schemes where a pet can be looked after temporarily for your stay in refuge, and then be returned to you when you have suitable longer term accommodation. The Helpline can advise you regarding these pet fostering schemes.

You can read more about refuge, including about pets, in the section of the Survivor’s Handbook called ‘What is a refuge and how can I stay in one?’

Kind Regards,

Lisa

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

EXIT SITE

© 2015 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ Jobs

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account