Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Daylight
      Participant

Hi all

I split up with my ex in (detail removed by moderator) and my parents have let myself and little one stay with them while lockdown is on. Parents are now wanting us gone as its to much for them, i have contacted the council who are stiĺl reviewing my application which i sent in (detail removed by moderator).

I have been thinking to speak with my keyworker to see if i can stay in a refuge or if i just need to wait to hear from council.

What is a refuge like?
      Is there strict bedtimes for children as my little one will not stick to times?
      Do you pay rent and bills?

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi Daylight,

In response to your queries it’s difficult to say exactly what refuge is like as they are all different and they will have their own ‘housekeeping’ rules. Most refuges are paid for with Housing Benefit or Universal Credit, but if you’re not currently claiming this then the refuge staff should be able to help you apply for this (as long as you are eligible). Most refuges will also ask for either a small weekly or monthly financial contribution, but again it’s difficult to say how much this would be as it would depend on the refuge. If you’re needing any support with benefits you could speak to Turn2Us on 0808 802 2000.

Women usually go into refuge for about 6 months to a year, and when you’re there you should get a refuge worker to help you find somewhere more permanent to go. Many refuges are shared properties (so you’d have your own bedroom but might have a shared kitchen/ living room area for example), but there are some that are self-contained spaces (not shared). You can find more general information about refuges here.

If you’re thinking about refuge then there’s no harm in speaking to your key worker about this option. You could also contact a Women’s Aid support worker via the Live Chat who can search for current refuge vacancies. The refuge vacancies get updated daily, and the best time to search for current vacancies is weekday mornings at around 10am.

Take care,

Lisa

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2015 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content