• This topic has 11 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Lisa.
Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Jingo
      Participant

I have looked everywhere online and cannot find any information. As I have previously posted, I am living in a bad situation at home with my parents.

My other half lives abroad and I need to visit them for a while due to the issues that are happening in my house. Unfortunately I am on a waiting list for housing, yet there is nothing available and I can’t apply for local housing because my family is rather well known in my town.

My other half is happy to have me over, but we cannot find out anywhere if I am allowed to visit in (detail removed by moderator).

Any advice would be hugely appreciated.

Jingo
      Participant

That’s what I thought

KIP.
      Participant

You are allowed to travel if you’re fleeing abuse. Contact women’s aid and see what they say. Someone on this forum managed it.

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi Jingo,

I just wanted to show you some support. I can see that Beachhut and KIP have given really supportive replies.

As Beachhut has advised, if you have a look on the government website and click on the country you are hoping to go to, there should be more information on whether this is possible https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice

If you feel like you are in need of some additional support and want to discuss other options, you could chat to a Women’s Aid worker in confidence via our Live Chat service (weekdays 10am – 4pm and 10am – 12pm weekends). They won’t tell you what to do, but can discuss your situation and signpost you to other support that’s relevant for you. You can access the chat service here: https://chat.womensaid.org.uk/

Do keep posting to let us know how you’re getting on,

Lisa

Jingo
      Participant

Hi, sorry I haven’t been around.

I emailed my local MP who has been brilliant and they are asking the FCO if I can travel abroad to see my husband and they’ve also messaged the council I want to move to, to try and get me moved.

KIP.
      Participant

That’s sounds great. Well done and keep going x

Jingo
      Participant

Thanks, things are slowly getting there and I am moving my things out when he’s not around so thats helping a lot. Just counting down the days until I can leave for good.

Jingo
      Participant

So I have looked online and I can travel, only thing is they want proof from social services and I haven’t got them involved. My GP is aware of the abuse and I have asked if they could write a letter explaining why I need to travel.

I hope everyone is doing as best as they can during these challenging timees.

KIP.
      Participant

Well done, I hope it works out for you and please contact Womens aid for support x

Jingo
      Participant

Kip, that’s my plan tomorrow.

Jingo
      Participant

Just an update, I spoke to my local D.A. today and they are going to help me out. It took a lot to make that first step but I’m glad I did it.

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi Jingo

Thanks for the update. It took so much courage and strength to make that call, so well done.

I am sure they will be able to offer the support you need.

Take care and keep posting

Lisa

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2015 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content