And all I can do is cry I dunno what to do
      To stop crying it feels so real like I am still
      There I am really struggling with this part of
      It

Wants To Help
      Participant

Hi Redbull,

Crying is a release.

Crying allows us to feel our pain, recognise our pain, feel sorry for ourselves, allows us to grieve for what we have suffered and lost. We cannot cry forever, our tears run out and we exhaust ourselves.

Eventually we start looking forwards instead of back. We can’t change the past. We can get therapy for it, we can learn from it, but we can’t change it. However, we can change the future. Once exhausted from the crying we can start to formulate a plan to move on.

Lots of people can’t cry and can’t get that release of emotions. Do not think that crying is bad or weak. Crying is a necessity at times and is a natural response to pain or trauma. That is why it is often uncontrollable and we have sobs and make noises that we have never heard ourselves make before and we can’t even imitate them again if we try.

I remember I once broke down and I heard the most weird sound of wailing, something like I’d never heard before. Then I realised it was me, and it was one of those horrendous sounds that come from so deep down that is due to pure grief and loss. It left me exhausted, but it was also a turning point of acceptance that something was over.

If this feeling is going on for more than a few days it could be a sign of depression or anxiety too, so it may be best to speak to your GP about how you are feeling and get some advice from them.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2015 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

EXIT SITE

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content