Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      fizzylem
      Participant

I have been overwhelmed this morning and in tears, after my lovely dear friend told me to check out this case, a case that has been running in the news this week.

I’ve had tears of joy, jubilation, shock, sadness, relief – the full range! I have felt thankful and glad to be alive, instead of scared, anxious and desperate.

This woman is now my hero; for anyone that hasn’t seen this in the news google it now!

She has been heard! Acknowledged! Believed! Taken seriously!

Coercive abuse will now be recognised in a court of law and she is the living example.

She got to the end of the line; this is what it does to all of us. There will be justice for women now.

Wish I could hug her! It’s been a good week for womens rights in this country for sure – FINALLY!

KIP.
      Participant

I saw the headline ‘I killed my husband but I still love him’. I wonder if anyone’s explained trauma bonding to her. I hope the article explains things. I can just imagine the comments from those who are ignorant of abuse. Evan Stark gave evidence on her behalf. Great she had the support of her sons. Go Sally x

fizzylem
        Participant

Such a v v v powerful message for victims and survivors hey KIP. It is normal and part of it, to love him, to miss him; but what he is doing / has done is so very wrong; don’t let it get to this; there is now a law to protect you!

I can’t stop crying, this means so much to so many of us x

KIP.
      Participant

I’d like to think after 8 years in jail I wouldn’t love or miss him. Maybe she means she loves and misses the good parts of him. Although from what I read he did to her there weren’t many of them. My ex rubbed a new relationship in my face too while we were still together. I was too scared of him but I can totally see why she hit him with a hammer. Good that this defence is recognised and the damage coercive does to us. I’m sure she’s got a long journey ahead to get over this, if she ever does. Good old justice system making it worse for victims. But at least they redressed it eventually after lots of campaigning. Another step in the right direction.

HopeLifeJoy
      Participant

This is incredible! What an important day for all of us, for Sallys Challen & familly & friends and Justice for Women and for all abused women, it shows the power of the law of the Coercive Control Act, even though she didn’t even need to go through (thank goodness for her!) another trial, it shows how seriously coercive control is taken by the courts. Justice has been served for her and so it open the doors for others too! Goodness I am crying too here now!

It is such incredible news, it is truly a turning point in history of domestic abuse.

Thanks for sharing Fizzylem! 👍

HopeLifeJoy
      Participant

I think trauma bonding will be highlighted soon in the news too, they will explain to her that this is what she is suffering from.
      She is now the poster girl ( woman) for having suffered coercive control. This is opening the path to so much awareness about everything around domestic abuse.

It is just incredible!!! 🤗🤗🤗🤗🤗

Twisted Sister
      Participant

She had her sons fghting her cause for a very long time as they realised what the coercive control law signified and pushed for it retrospective application to release their mother from her murder charge, to reduce it to manslaughter the years for which she had already served.

Men fighting in courts are listened to, in comparison to women.

I so hope that she gets solid help for some recovery.

Thanks for posting this update, i had wondered what her outcome was.

Lets hope it really does serve to raise the profile an under of coercive control on the back of justice for sally challon.

#spreadthehope

TS

Twisted Sister
      Participant

*understanding

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content