Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      ISOPeace
      Participant

I’m a bit embarrassed to ask this as everyone else seems to be able to work it out…. how do you speak to Women’s Aid? Several people have suggested contacting them about my exit plan but In can only see links to other organisations to call. Thanks xxxx

KIP.
      Participant

Hi there, on the home page here you can search for your local WA or just google them. Then I just rang and spoke to the duty worker. Sorted out an appointment and was helped from there x

gettingtired
      Participant

Hey, don’t be embarassed as I often wonder the same thing!
      Especially as Women’s aid seems to be linked to the National abuse helpline? Unless I’ve got that completely wrong 🙈 x

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi,

Please don’t be embarrassed- there are a few ways!

You can contact your local domestic abuse service which is often a local Women’s Aid by using this link. Some local services are run by other agencies but should still offer the same emotional and practical support.

Or you can use the Live Chat service to chat online to a Women’s Aid Support Worker- here.

Women’s Aid also have an email service- here.

The 24hr National Domestic Abuse Helpline is run by the charity Refuge available on 0808 2000 247.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Lisa

Scottish Thistle
      Participant

Heya, these nothing to feel embarrassed about!

I phoned my local WA, I wasn’t going to it was more to keep my sister off my back – independent person who thought I could handle it all myself and what I wasn’t going through was domestic abuse – he never hit me so how was it abuse??

As soon as the woman said hello I broke down, I apologised and said I needed a moment to get myself together. When I gathered myself we talked for about an hour, she asked loads of general questions and I went in the following day for a better chat all the while she was filling out a marac questionnaire, when she said I scored as a high risk that the police were to be notified at their next meeting, I was mortified that I had let it get to that stage. She showed me around the temporary accommodation and gave me loads of literature to read. My exit wasn’t planned all I had with me was a rucksack that I managed to get together in 10mins before he woke up and started.

If I hadn’t gone to see her that day I’m 99% sure I would have caved and gone back to my husband without a doubt.

oaktree
      Participant

Does anyone know how long it normally takes for you to get an answer on the WA live chat? It says average wait is 25mns, but I’ve had it open over an hour…..

Lisa
        Main Moderator

Hello Oaktree,

Sorry to hear that you have had issues getting through to a support worker on live chat. There has been a huge demand for the service since it launched and the wait times can be longer than we’d like.

If you are struggling to get through after an hour, it might be worth closing the chat and opening a new one in case the chat has been disconnected or timed out. In the meantime, you can also contact your local Women’s Aid or domestic abuse service for support if needed.

I hope you managed to speak to someone.

Take care,
        Lisa

oaktree
      Participant

Thanks Lisa, I tried a few times and got no reply after a few hours. But in the end I managed to get through to my local IDAS and they are helping me

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content