Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Harriet123
      Participant

Hi everyone,

At first, I found everything so difficult. Getting out of my relationship and coping with the aftermath was soooo difficult at first. I felt lost as a person and was so scared of how everything was affecting my daughter.

It’s been nearly (detail removed by Moderator) months since breaking up with my abusive partner and I can’t explain how positive it has been (even with the difficult parts). I have had really difficult moments and still do, also had him hounding me telling me what a better person he’s going to be now (which I know would never last) but I’ve been speaking to my friends so much (something I never did before) and it’s been so helpful to keep me strong and not let myself fall back into his trap.

Times are still hard but I’ve honestly realised it was the best decision breaking up with him. I now live with my parents, which can be difficult at times (even though they make it as easy and as comfortable as possible) but I can’t help but wish I could have my own place with my daughter having her own bedroom and being our own separate family. I know our own place isn’t going to happen for the time being but at some point we will get to that point and I just need to remember that what I’ve got now is much better than what I had before.

As lockdown eases and me being able to see my friends has become more frequent, it has made me so much happier as a person. I hate being without my daughter on the days my ex has her but it’s also quite helpful on the day I am without her as I just get to look after myself which is something I haven’t been able to do for so long.

I still have my moments of sadness and stress but I know now it was the best decision I’ve ever made leaving him. And even though things are not “perfect” now, things will only get better from here.

I just hope this post gives atleast one person the strength to help them get out of their abusive relationship at some point when they are ready to leave. I was so scared of leaving, I was scared how it would affect my daughter, how it would affect myself and whether it was ever going to work leaving him. But it has, and even though I have a lot to deal with, it was honestly the best decision I have ever made. It’s so hard at the beginning but once you do it, you will realise it’s the best thing you could have ever done. It will get easier and I know that everything will just get better and better from now on.

Stay strong everyone. You can do this. Even if you don’t feel ready just yet, at some point you will get the courage to leave and whenever that is, it is going to be ok. You’ve got this. Believe in yourself. You are strong and you are worth so much more. ❤️

Empoweredhealing
      Participant

Wow so happy for you!! It took a lot of hard work and courage to get here. It’s what we all hope for as survivors. Keep going and Congratulations🎉🎉🎉

iliketea
      Participant

Totally with you on that! No regrets at all. Thanks for posting, its nice to hear from others. Well done for staying strong. For looking after yourself on those days, I know what you mean, I used to wander around wondering what to do but discovered middle of the day baths with Netflix! And amazing long walks with no pushchair or whining about going home early and everything being too far, too cold, too this, too that! Freedom is an amazing thing. When you stop holding your breath, when you can breathe the spring scent, have time to feel the warmth of the sun, when you relax and stop tensing your shoulders against the next onslaught. Freedom is amazing. Well done for seeing a brighter future for you and your daughter. A safe future. Enjoy. xx

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2015 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content