Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Starmoon
      Participant

I’m not sure if I’m allowed to post the name of the show… but if I am, everything he says is almost to a tee what my ex would say.. almost every single thing.

Camel
      Participant

Do you remember at the very start when he was doing hospital radio? Who would fight for this old man with no job, no roots, no close family? Audrey and Yasmeen did. He was throwing Yasmeen off kilter, deliberately making her jealous and forcing her to fight for him. Yasmeen had been married, for life, she believed. Then her husband turned out to be a rogue and suddenly a grandmother found herself adrift. I don’t know if the writers had everything mapped out even then but it follows the abuser’s script to the letter – a predator seeing easy pickings.

Starmoon
      Participant

Yes I remember. I feel like I watch closely for red flags with absolutely everyone now, including people on tele. Obviously sometimes I see things that aren’t there but other times I’m not. It just shocks me how similar this man is to my ex. They look absolutely nothing alike and are no where near in age but his facial expressions and the look in his eyes are so similar. I remember posting once that my ex’s eyes could glaze over and almost look black, yet they are so bright in colour normally.

Walkingonsunshine
        Participant

@starmoon OMG yes, the eyes!!! I’d never noticed my Ex’s do that before until I began to realise what he was, it’s scary how much they can change and how different he can look when he’s that way out.

Coronation Street has been a huge help for helping me see the abuse. My ex was nowhere near as bad as Geoff, but when the storyline first started and the whole cleaning stuff, drawing Xs on the skirting boards etc I remember sitting there thinking omg, that’s him! I felt my Ex was one step away from drawing Xs, I’d often feel like he was watching me to make sure I was doing what I was supposed to…even now, the blackmail trying to get Yasmin to come back to him. I can see the exact same pattern with my Ex. They have portrayed it all so well and I hope it has helped many women to realise they are in an abusive relationship.

iliketea
      Participant

YES the eyes!! The scary serpent eyes with pin p***k pupils and all starey. When I tried to explain to the solicitor she asked me if it could be drugs!! No, just abuse I said. Changes back in an instant.

Starmoon
      Participant

Ugh how awful to be accused of being on drugs. Honestly these men are real life Jekyll and Hyde. Their appearance can change in the flick of a switch can’t it?! I can’t see my ex as anything but ugly now.. but he is actually a very good looking man. I see Geoff trying to convince Yasmin to come back, saying he loves her and he will get help, I’ve lost count of how many times my ex would tell me this. I always went back, it would be lovely for a few days or weeks and then things would slowly but surely go wrong again. My ex didn’t draw x’s but he had a way of making me feel I never did enough at home.. he also used to say that I always causes issues if I had a drink so I’d end up promising not to drink anymore.

Headspinning
      Participant

Mine would go on about how loud I got etc after a drink – the reality was he just didn’t like me to drink so would pick a fight.
      And I’d be doing well if I got a few good weeks from him after taking him back – last time he couldn’t even last 48 hours before starting up again!!
      So glad I am out of it x

Starmoon
        Participant

Well done being out. I still have times where I doubt the abuse but regardless I’m so glad to be out of that anxious situation.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content