Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Serenity
      Participant

Hello wonderful ladies,

I don’t get the chance to log on to this forum as much as I used to. I’ve been busy trying to rebuild and make up for lost time during those months/ couple of years when I was no good to anyone, and was just going through the motions at work. I don’t know how my employer was so patient. I’m trying to give back.

I’ve done a lot of reading a research these past couple of years or so, learning a lot about abuse.

Like many of you, I have found that the effects of abuse are hard to get over, even after you are out for a long time. Triggers are everywhere.

I am posting because I wanted to share that my reading has recently turned to subjects like ‘creating a sense of safety after PTSD’ etc. There are a lot of helpful articles online if you type in such a heading, about how to create little oases or anchors during your day that help you to feel safe and centred.

It’s retraining your brain. The brain has been left damaged by the trauma, but it is neuroplastic and it can be altered by such repeated rituals- it suggests doing these approximately six times a day.

It takes effort to heal the traumatised brain. But if, when we are out, after all the long questioning which brings no satisfactory answers ( there is no rationale for evil ) we can turn our attentions to our own physical healing, it can be done, if slowly.

Lisa
      Main Moderator

Hi Serenity,

It’s good to hear from you and to know that you’re still learning and healing. We appreciate you sharing what you have learnt; I’m sure it will be of benefit to other survivors.

Kind Regards,

Lisa

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content