Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      LittleRobin
      Participant

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has sought free advice re divorce from solicitors? Is it any use? Or do they just try to promote their services in that time. Husband claims he has a lawyer but is not doing a thing about filing. I just want to know my rights and how protected my finances etc are. In case he really does have a lawyer

Twisted Sister
      Participant

Hi LittleRobin

I haven’t sought legal advice for my divorce, no, but it would seem a sensible thing to do if you can’t come to any agreement between you. If you have reached an agreement, then it will be easier on everyone to go with that, unless, as you say, he has a solicitor. Do you have any means of contact with him that you could find out, and trust his answer?

If a solicitor tried to simply promote their services during a free consult, you can just keep putting across your questions. I think any free sessions would be short, and in that time they could only give general advice really, unless you set out a full detail of all your shared assets, they wouldnt be able to comment, but if its simple like, we bought a house 7 years ago, have x children, his salary, my salary, any debts outstanding, abuse…whats best advice for this?

Also if you go ahead it would be worth asking about your position where he has a lawyer and you might not. You can have whats called a ‘mackenzie friend’. Someone who offers their support and assistance in going through court that would have some experience of divorce specifically, but they cannot speak for you, only you can represent yourself in that sense, unless you have a solicitor.

I hope that helps.

warmest wishes

ts

Tea-and-biscuits
      Participant

Hi I have sought advice. I Have had 3 initial free visits with the same solicitor but because they were spaced out over the years I haven’t had to pay yet. They were amazing this last time due to divorce changes he advised me to do it online tend then come back to him for the financial side. I was pleasantly surprised.

LittleRobin
      Participant

Thank you TS and tea and biscuits – I actually found out about an organisation called Rights for women who give free advice. Going to call them in the week.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content