Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      iliketea
      Participant

Hi, has anyone been given PIP (old DLA) for C-PTSD? Im having flashbacks, not sleeping, and can’t concentrate on anything. really struggling. Wondering if there’s any point applying. Im waiting for counselling from DA support service but there’s a big waitlist. Meant to be looking for work but struggling to get head straight.

HopeLifeJoy
      Participant

It’s worth applying for PIP. There was a survivor on here who did so successfully, a mother and student who just couldn’t cope with it all anymore. She’s not active unfortunately anymore otherwise I’d given you her name.

Looking for work is extremely taxing, more so than even working because there is no certainty or stable routine as you would have when employed + you have to constantly market & promote yourself/your skills, which can be draining enough even in normal circumstances.

You shouldn’t be asked to job hunt when you are clearly suffering from trauma. Flashbacks, not being able to concentrate, not being able to sleep are all clear signs of trauma occupying your mind.
      Your GP should give you a letter excusing you to have to job-hunt due to ongoing traumatic stress. It takes a long time, years to recover from c-ptsd, you should be given all the time and space to come to terms with it without additional obligations to full-fill.

KIP.
      Participant

I’ve applied recently for this. I was told the mental health side of PIP isn’t being recognised as it should. I got my local moneymatters to help me fill in the forms. I’d definitely advise you to do the same. They know how the system works and she did it over the phone then emailed me the form completed so she wrote it all out for me which saved me huge triggers. I have trouble reading, writing and concentrating at the same time x it’s been a few weeks now but I’m still waiting for a telephone consultation. At least just now they’re not doing face to face which save a lot of stress too x

iliketea
      Participant

Thanks a lot. @KIP what is local moneymatters? I’m going to try CAB too. Did you call PIP and start the process yourself or get the GP and everyone to provide evidence first. I have a new IDVA now and no hope of support from her as so busy and because Ive left. Next appointment ages away too. Thank you.

KIP.
      Participant

I rang myself first and they took basic information like my name and national insurance, bank details etc but didn’t go into detail about my condition which was good. It’s not means tested either so won’t affect any other income. Then they send you the form to fill in. At that point I rang my local moneymatters which like citizens advice but for matters of finances. I think citizens advice will be able to tell you where your local branch is.its called different things in different towns. Or maybe citizens advice will offer the same service. When the form arrived I rang moneymatters and they filled it in online after talking to me and emailed it to me. I printed it off and sent it away. There is more information on the process online. They will Also update you by text. My next step in a telephone interview. You can send any supporting letters with your form when you’re ready. I sent one from my therapist.

iliketea
      Participant

Hi @KIP, did you have any luck with PIP application? Im doing mine today with CAB. Feel really nervous, I mentioned it to my GP and she was a bit dismissive. I didnt ask her directly as the Health Visitor had already told me it was pointless to do and to be careful as if I had young children it might look like I can’t look after them…
      Such a minefield all this.

KIP.
      Participant

Hi, I’m still waiting for my telephone interview. I think there’s a 10 week wait after the application is submitted. Do you have anyone who can send a supporting letter. Just because you can’t do certain tasks doesn’t make you an unfit mother. That’s ridiculous and comments from someone who obviously doesn’t understand cPTSD. I’d definitely apply and be guided by citizens advice. My lady was fantastic and told me the pieces to emphasise and how the points system works. It’s painful having to admit your mental limitations and therefore your physical limitations but you’re asking for temporary help until you recover a bit. I’d definitely go for it, you’ve nothing to lose x

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content