Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Ilikechicken
      Participant

Do you think you ever go back to the person you was before u were in abusive relationships? Or do u think the effects will always be there? I miss who I was… But feel I will never trust anyone ever again.

Hello love,
      I think you become a new person. Better than than you were before. Wiser, stronger…
      all best
      ftc
      x

Tiffany
      Participant

I am not the same person I was before. I am less trusting. I am more anxious. But I am also not the same person I was when I was being abused. I am stronger, I am more joyful. I am more me.

On balance I think I am far more like the person I was before the abuse now than I am like the poor batterered shell of a person I was during the abuse.

When you leave it is a time to remake yourself, and you can to an extent chose which traits you carry forward and which you leave behind. Some are hard work. It took time to be ready even to try, but I have been working on being trusting again. I don’t ever want to be as naive as I was before. But don’t want to wall myself off from the world either. Some come back easily – my joy in small things rekindled the minute I left. It’s fairly tumultuous when you leave, but gradually things settle down and you are more and more the person you want to be.

anotherlife
      Participant

I’m still with my husband, one last try apparently but not for me, I’m just not strong enough to try to end it right now. I barely remember who I used to be, but then I’m s lot older and a mum now so times change.
      Lovely words Tiffany and they offer us hope.
      We’ll never know unless we try and I know info try again, I know it’ll be so hard, as he managed emotional pressure on me and guilt, made me feel sorry fur him which I thought I was done with.
      I hope you manage to see some of the old you returning but also some new traits, such as strength and hope and resilience to carry you forward x

Ilikechicken
      Participant

Thank u i hope your right I would love to be stronger and more fun like my old self. Anotherlife I’m sorry to hear that he guilted you to going back, I hope the time comes soon that u realise your strong enough to leave him. Sending you love and support. Xx

Ayanna
      Participant

I have changed a lot.
      But it is not a bad thing.

Anonymous
      Inactive

I know I will never be the person I was. There is too much fear and experience to ever do that. However, I have been able to buy the music that I wasn’t allowed to listen to and I can wear clothes that are more me without feeling guilty.

Iwantmeback
      Participant

I dont want to be the person i was before i met him. I was always saying yes when i should have said no, trying to please too many people, never myself. I can’t wait to be free💜
      IWMB 💕💕

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content