Viewing 10 reply threads
  • Author
      Headspin
      Participant

Doesn’t care where we are, who we’re with. He’s discussed private matters, put me down, shouted at and mocked me in front of people. It is so degrading and fills me with despair. Not as bad as he was, it used to be very regular. Occasionally though, he still loves to dig his claws in and if I have a panic attack, all the more for him to sneer at.

Headspin
      Participant

*an audience

Cantmakedecisons
      Participant

Oh yes! This was his favourite thing to do. It didn’t matter if it was in a group of friends or the supermarket, as long as the outcome was the same – humiliating me.

I hope you’re ok? Hope your head up x

littledove
      Participant

Yes. My abuser used to love embarrassing me in public. And he used to mock me and put me down in front of my family and try pass it off as a laugh.
      He would cause scenes in public places and would humiliate me (especially in front of other men, due to jealousy).

However, he would obviously keep his violent behaviours when we were in private behind closed doors.

Headspin
        Participant

Oh, a fellow sufferer of public humiliations 🙁
        Yes I’m ok thanks, I can stand up to him now but it’s a horrible way to carry on.

Headspin
        Participant

Littledove, your experience is actually quite triggering, I just don’t know what they get out of embarrassing and humiliating us in public. In front of family too. My siblings would stand up for me, but he is just so entitled and arrogant that nothing would p***k his conscience.

KIP.
      Participant

Yes but not in the beginning. He was very careful what he said to begin with but slowly the humiliation began. This is how they destroy your self esteem and confidence and then dominate x I suffered social anxiety because of him x

gettingtired
      Participant

No mine is covert so it will only be in subtle ways. He likes to play the perfect person to everyone else. He uses the threat of public humiliation to control me, so he might threaten to storm off from me or threaten to start shouting in a public place which he knows would really embarrass me x

Headspin
        Participant

Kip am sorry to hear that you have social anxiety because of his behaviour. I still remember the panic when he would raise his voice in the supermarket, pull things out of the trolley shouting that we didn’t need this or that. I often wonder what people must have thought, it’s so shaming.

Headspin
        Participant

The threat would keep you anxious and on edge. It’s so horrible.

gettingtired
        Participant

Yes it does. In all the years we’ve been together only one person has noticed it in public and said something. We were in a pub/restaurant and he was in a mood about something so was of course getting nasty and blaming me. He had to go back to the hotel we were staying in to get something but I think had raised his voice slightly before he went. An older man working in the restaurant came over when he had gone and asked if I was ok but of course I put on a smile and said I was. I’d be disgraced if I saw a man shouting at his partner in a supermarket but I guess there’s not really anything outsiders can do even if they do witness something x

KIP.
        Participant

Yes I can’t believe I lived that way now. I can see how his behaviour impacted me but at the time I was so confused and didn’t have the headspace to work it all out x

Anonymous
      Inactive

Oh yes to this one. Not initially. He liked to keep up the perfect persona in public, but the mask slipped and slipped. He would scream, shout, swear and call me everything under the sun in the middle of the street, causing crowds to gather. He would have his fists at my face in the street whilst screaming whilst people came out of their houses. He cleared departments of stores when women backed away and fled when he stormed in raging because I had taken too long. He has stormed around hospital A and E swearing and abusing me cos I had dared to go there.
      I don’t think he necessarily liked an audience, I think he didn’t care. Any restraint had long since gone. The really interesting thing is that no one ever ever intervened, or asked if I was OK, or called the police. They watched or rushed away.
      Feeling bit depressed about it all today, the police are letting me down, it’s like wading through treacle to get anybody to listen. Anyway so sorry everyone has gone through such bad experiences.

gettingtired
        Participant

This really is terrible. I can only imagine the anxiety you would have experienced from him behaving this way. Mine has and can get very nasty when I spend too long in shops, hence why I usually on edge or conscious of the time I’m taking in case he gets angry x

Headspin
      Participant

Marmot, your experience is so extreme, I have no words other than I’m so sorry you went through this. You’re clearly still suffering the abuse even though you’re not together now. Do you think when people are observing abusive behaviour they don’t do anything because they’re afraid? Or maybe people think that somebody else must have telephoned the police. Yes maybe some abusers don’t care if there’s an audience or not, just as you say, there’s no restraint. Hope you will keep strong and that the support comes good.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Thank you Head spin, you are such a nice person. No ongoing abuse here, am no contact. Its sorting out the police report of his previous behaviour that is currently demoralising me.
      Hope your situation improves for you.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Yeah some like an audience for a better effect it gives them a sadistic boost to their pathetic fake power attempts it’s like in the wild when a tiger trips up and toys with prey to show the others how to do it.its part of their dark triad traits .iv’e known a fair few who’ve done it and everyone has ended up leaving them.

Headspin
        Participant

Ah thanks Marmot, hope you’re doing ok.

Headspin
        Participant

Yes Auriel it is like a beast playing with it’s prey. Particularly when you’re aware of the consequences if you dare protest

Anonymous
      Inactive

Headspin, for sure , there’s predators in the jungle and human predators too we’ve all learned that the most horrible way, sending you love anyway ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜💗

Viewing 10 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content