Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Fudgecake
      Participant

I read an interesting article today in The Independent titled

“Female domestic abuse survivors 44 per cent more likely to die from any cause.”

“We believe that it is likely due to the effects of acute and chronic stress,” says report author

It’s worth a read. Speaking from personal experience my health got worse every year I stayed with my abuser. And now even after leaving my health although better is not great and I feel the abuse has taken a toll physically and mentally.

minty
      Participant

Hi Fudgecake,

I lost a stone and a half and still losing it. The mental stress and abuse takes it toll I think for most people. Even though I left my ex a few months back, I still don’t eat properly. Mostly I don’t enjoy my food, I just eat because I know I have to.

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi all,

Not surprised by this at all. I am a different person to the one I was a few years ago. I’ve lost weight too (which gets noticed and then criticised), mentally I’m all over the place. Even little things like my skin being bad, it’s always dry. I had shingles last year because of stress. I have 2 little glands that pop up behind my ear that are so sore.

I have days where I really do try to “pamper” myself to help my health but I can almost guarantee by the end of the day I can’t be bothered – it’s like I think it’s not worth it.

Chocolatebunnie
      Participant

Yes definitely Fudgecake interesting read and as well as the obvious mental health illnesses caused, anxiety, depression, PTSD and eating disorders to name a few and possibly leading to suicide? These do and which will affect the body and it’s health.

I’m sure many people may have High blood pressure, heart disease, autoimmune disease, fibromyalgia is very common amongst those suffering long term stress although not a disease that shortens life necessary but still a horrible condition.

I imagine many on here will have some of these conditions

Sunshineee
      Participant

Thank you so much for sharing this, will definitely be having a read as I think as we all agree it is so very true! Iv been loosing weight, putting it on, PTSD, depression, trouble sleeping, headaches & migraines, low blood pressure you name it! The list could go on…it’s so true that the trauma we go through definitely affects us physically and not just mentally x

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content