Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Mummyboo
      Participant

I left my husband in (detail removed by Moderator). I haven’t really told very many people except family and close friends. I have a brain injury since a bad car accident (detail removed by Moderator) ago and every single person I’ve told has said the same thing “was it because if your brain injury.” It breaks my heart that everyone is looking at him like he’s a poor man who’s wife banged her head in, went mental and then left him. When the truth is he physically, sexually and emotionally abused me for more than half my life.

KIP.
      Participant

Hey Mummyboo, I started a post about misdiagnosis which touches on your problem. It takes a long time for us to come to terms with our abuse. Once you are strong enough you will find the strength when asked to reply, as you have stated, no, it wasn’t because of my head injury, it was because he physically, sexually and emotionally abused me. It took me a long time to not be ashamed of his abuse. Now I know the shame is all his. Two women per week commit suicide because of abuse and I often think about the abuser playing the poor victim, soaking up the sympathy when they have caused the suicide. It’s not our shame.

KIP.
      Participant

It’s only recently that when people, medical professionals in particular mention my mental illness. I correct them and say I have mental injuries caused by abuse x it gets easier with time as your confidence returns x

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content