Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      AlienStalker
      Participant

I was abused over (detail removed by Moderator) years ago, I still have the nightmares. And even though in relationship know when with people feel so discouraged from trying to engage them in conversation . I feel like I need medication to help. I guess I just need to know I am not Alone.

SunshineRainflower
      Participant

Hi AlienStalker,

You are definitely not alone, I think we can all relate here. Have you had any therapy for what you went through? It sounds like it is still affecting you which is very normal after abuse as it leaves a trauma. A lot of people have found therapy very helpful with the right abuse-trained therapist. There is also the option of EMDR.

I totally get how you feel struggling to connect and engage. This could be a symptom of PTSD or CPTSD. Have you rung the helpline yet? If not do ring them, there is also NAPAC if the abuse your experienced was in childhood.

There are also some good books on recovering from trauma, a counsellor recommended ‘From Surviving to Thriving’ to me which is a book which focuses on recovery from CPTSD.

Ayanna
      Participant

I am the same, AlienStalker.
      I accepted how I am and I live very withdrawn.
      It is a new way of living.
      I will definitely never take medication for that.

Serenity
      Participant

Hi Alienstalker,

I can identify. I keep going from being in warrior mode to feeling dissociated from reality.

I am sure it’s part of the PTSD. It’s hard to navigate your way through it at times.

I also think that shrinking back into your shell is related to depression and feeling powerless. It’s important to somehow feel that you’ve taken don’t power back. Speaking out, counselling, engaging in activities that help you release and work through your feelings, are ways of doing this and releasing trapped emotions.

Depression is often anger turned inside out, someone told me, and I think it’s true. I think if we don’t allow ourselves to be angry and to release anger,we turn it in on ourselves. I think anger is a very helpful emotion. Expressing it in a safe way is very healing. X

AlienStalker
      Participant

I tried speaking to someone when it all first started. I haven’t been able to talk to anyone and I am struggling now it’s been a month so just not knowing how to lift my mood up again. When I posted this I was on a night out and just felt like I wasnt really part of the group. I will look up that book, thanks. And thanks for all your comments.

AlienStalker
      Participant

Been depressed for a month. Normally my mood would lift again but do far that has not happened.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content