Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Starmoon
      Participant

Like i shouldve been more grateful and more positive. Mayeb im too negative and dragged him down too much

KIP.
      Participant

Every time you accept the blame and the guilt, it means he doesn’t have to. Self blaming is a huge gift to an abuser. The abuse was not your fault. He chose to behave that way. He had a choice. Time to be gentle with yourself. To self care. To build your confidence to never ever accept abuse again.

Borntobefree
      Participant

Hi starmoon
      Do not blame yourself..abusers should not abuse in the first place .I felt like you for a while
      Then I remember all the things he did to me

It wasn’t love it was torture

duvetday
      Participant

Hi Starmoon,
      None of it was your fault. But I understand why you feel this way.. It’s natural. But yeh..it’s definitely not your fault.

Freedomfighter
      Participant

Hi Starmoon,
      They always make us feel like we don’t try, we’re the one who’s difficult . That we are negative, we drag them down.
      Try thinking about an incident that makes you feel like that, but think about it as them pulling you down, or is he blaming you for something he’s doing. That’s what I’m currently doing because I started thinking was I not being fair, not giving him a chance. He told me I was ungrateful, he was working his butt off but I didn’t appreciate him. Of course I felt guilty. Then I listened to the advice on here about mirroring and writing down everything that was happening, and how they blame us etc. When I really sat and thought about it, I was the one working my butt off. Yes he was working hard for him (making a big show of doing a little bit). He was the one acting all irritable and angry one minute then laughing the next, then back to shouting abuse at the TV (pretty sure it’s me he’s telling to F off, but blames it on tv). But I felt guilty because he told me it was me being ungrateful and expecting too much. It’s not me, he’s just lazy and abusive and then blames me. It’s hard to see at first because they brainwash us into believing it’s all our fault.
      But try asking yourself if he’s blaming you for something He is doing. I’m seeing it all the time. He even tells me not to let people manipulate me, while he does it. They really don’t have any sense of guilt or shame. Don’t know if they can’t see it or don’t like others controlling Their Property! Don’t know if he’s crazy or just evil and devoid of feelings, maybe just not human, but try it.

Starmoon
      Participant

I hate that after years of this, i still feel it mustve been my fault. I really dont know whats unacceptable. Maybe a was too picky over the things he did? Im even starting to wonder if my perception is tptally off and that i have no empathy or low empathy.. maybe i was selfish anendidnt see things from his side enough.. like when we visited him when he worked away… was i selfish for arguing with him over not getting tine with him

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content