• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by KIP..
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      starqueen
      Participant

I was doing really well with things until I got some letters which have reminded me there are still things I need to do related to my abusive family member. They died recently and there’s only really me to deal with the practicalities. It’s also more complicated because there are investigations happening into their death and I’m not sure whether I want to be involved. On the one hand I want people to know what they were like and on the other hand all my old feelings of responsibility are coming back. They tried to control me, telling me things about their mental health but then emotionally blackmailing me and trying to get me not to tell anyone else. I guess the fear I have is that people will think that I didn’t do enough and that it was my fault because I told social workers etc some things but never the whole story. I feel like all the fear and isolation and control has come back. I suspected that this whole thing had left me with PTSD – I’ve not been diagnosed with it but I have been getting treatment for my mental health – and I guess maybe this is like a flashback. Anyway just needed to get that off my chest.

KIP.
      Participant

Hey, it’s stressful times for everyone and you might find the investigation is put on the back burner. I’d put off anything I can until you’re better placed to deal with it mentally. Take advantage of the current situation for some breathing space?

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content