Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Has anybody experience of leaving and being told people would be there for you and then they just aren’t? I have left as friends advised me to and they promised they would be there. These friendships span decades. I have followed medical advice and they have said that I am not strong enough physically or emotionally to end the relationship formally and make things official financially. They want me to be strong enough to pursue work over the coming months as they think this is a priority for me to ‘know ‘ I can survive alone. I agree . If I can work I will feel like I can do this.

Some of my friends say I’m a bad mother as I don’t force a sale of the house and force my adult children out and away from his influence. They were there for me at the start but have slowly drifted away and they are angry I have not done what they say. I am pretty much down to 1 friend and I’m worried I will lose her too. It’s excruciating to text or phone people and they don’t answer.

I know many say it but I feel truly alone in the world. I have an illness so I can’t just go and meet new people either. I just don’t trust anyone at all. My partner said everyone would leave and hurt me and they wouldn’t be there for me and he is right.

What do other people do in this situation? I can’t tell you how betrayed I feel that I left and am now struggling alone with little support. The DV support has been sparse. I have a health worker who I speak to once a week but she has had a lot of holiday to get in because of Covid. She does help me but I just feel I need more. I need my friends but they seem lost.

I am lost and without hope

Watersprite
      Participant

I’m sorry you feel this way – you have so much on your plate. I remember the agony of losing friends when you needed them most. Over time I have come to realise they weren’t a fit anyway for the new authentic abuse free version of myself and that I didn’t need anyone in my life that added to the drama. I can remember the agony of waiting for a reply from good people because when you are screaming inside it is so immediate and urgent. And then I would remind myself they were busy had other things and their own needs and that’s ok too. So I guess my reply here is really to say you are not alone and we are all here because we understand. Keep posting if it helps x*x

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content