Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Eve1
      Participant

I’ve been talking to WA more just recently and it is definitely making me feel stronger.

It’s years since I separated from my abuser but trying to work and look after the children, and still deal with him, those were priorities, so I don’t think I focussed on healing me, (although just being able to get away from him was a huge relief) I’m more in that mindset now, whatever else is happening.

It is triggering and once I get talking I feel like I could talk about it forever! I also find myself wondering if I should have stayed, for financial security. It doesn’t take me long to realise the answer to that is no, staying would have been a mistake, he wasn’t going to change, I’d already stayed a long time, long enough to barely be able to think for myself, and who knows what that would have done to my mental health at the very least. But these things go round my head.

Having a WA worker to talk to has been amazingly helpful and supportive, I’m very grateful. If you’re thinking about contacting them, even if you’re many years out, like me, please do it. No one understands what we’ve been through like Women’s Aid does.

Love to all
      Eve
      x

Anonymous
      Inactive

That was an amazing post. I’m glad you’re moving on and getting help. How did you do it?

Eve1
      Participant

Thank you JHO. I hope you’re doing ok.I really am many years out for one thing and I don’t have to deal directly with him as my children are older. Coming back here has always helped over the years. A few months ago I came back on as covid meant I was ill and had no job and was very worried. Lovely ladies on here were supportive and I reached out to my local WA branch and have been speaking to a worker for the last few months. Have you done the Freedom Programme? This is also worth doing.

What I’ve learned is that it’s never too late to heal and it can take years. I’m not there yet but I feel I’ve taken another step on the way.

Love
      Eve

Anonymous
      Inactive

I did the freedom programme which showed me that I wasn’t mad and had been abused.

I had forgotten some of what he did to me and started crying while I was reading something the other day which reminded me.

Eve1
      Participant

Sorry you’ve had this reminder. Have you had any counselling? I had some a while ago and though it wasn’t specifically for DA it was helpful. Talking can help. Be gentle with yourself.

Eve
      x

Anonymous
      Inactive

I’ve been waiting for over a year for trauma therapy. Would have started in March, but the therapist cancelled the appointment, blamed me, Covid got the next appointment when I had my daughter with me. She can’t know why I am so protective of her.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2015 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content