Viewing 12 reply threads
  • Author
      brandnewme
      Participant

Has anyone else had this happen.
      (detail removed by moderator)
      I earn slightly to much to qualify for legal aid.
      he has been sponging off me for years and i have paid for everything, housing, bills, kids stuff and because he put (detail removed by moderator) in our joint account towards our 5 kids christmas presents i do not qualify as they see this as income!!
      he has contributed around (detail removed by moderator) tops in the past year to our family and i have been working my but off doing overtime etc to pay for EVERYTHING whilst he bums around , “in recovery” smoking pot and naval gazing on our property .
      so angry .i lterally have £90 till pay day , am going to havr=e to use credit cards for food for kids and now will be saddled by another debt to get him gone.
      bet he quaifies for full legal aid , what a joke
      sorry for rating on but i know you lot will get it xxxx

KIP.
      Participant

I know it stings, I had more to pay but I was allowed to pay it up monthly. Ask about extended payment term. Itwill be worth it because these men will definitely use the (detail removed by moderator) system to continue the abuse. Try absolutely everything to object to his receiving legal aid. Once someone else (taxpayers) is paying his legal costs the litigation will be long, painful and pointless. Make sure your solicitor knows to rein in his behaviour should he try to use this system to continue his abuse. I had a nightmare.

diymum@1
      Participant

yeh i had to pay a contribution to legal aid in the end it cost me £6000! i work three days a week xx i wasnt ever told how much it would amount to in the end – (detail removed by moderator) xx its very unfair- i dont think legal aid is what it was xx

fizzylem
      Participant

Will probably feel like the best £500 you’ve ever spent in 6-12 months time. Stuff him and what he’s not doing / done. I’m hearing what an amazing mum you are making it happen, taking care of what needs taking care of for you and your children x

EbonyRaven
      Participant

He would only possibly qualify for Legal aid once he’s out. Whilst he’s there and your married, his income is counted as the household income I think.
      I’m in the same position but no young children to arrange for. I’ve written and submitted my own applications as there was no other choice. I’m just hoping they’re good enough. Saw a solicitor at a domestic abuse place and she said it could start at about £7,000. I don’t have it.
      I can understand there has to be a limit for legal aid somewhere, but it needs a thorough shake up.

maddog
      Participant

The costs of legal support are extortionate. (detail removed by moderator)as an act of vengeance. I think the truth is that he wanted (detail removed by moderator) It is costing £thousands. (detail removed by moderator)

It is shocking that these people are allowed to behave like this and there is so little financial support for survivors of domestic abuse being dragged through the (detail removed by moderator).

I really don’t know what my ex seeks to achieve. It’s horrible and it’s panic-inducing especially when the money just isn’t there.

Iwantmeback
      Participant

When I divorced my ex, my solicitor said I’d get legal aid, I think she talked of legal aid costing the taxpayer about 4,200 back them. but if I wanted to use her instead it would cost £500 which I was able to pay up too. That included vat. always ask if their prices include vat, cos it can be quite an extra large unaccounted fir amount. That way my ex paid his lawyer and I paid mine, cos he had to enlist one as he wouldn’t divorce me. And that way i didn’t run up a massive debt payable by the tax payer. Sometimes it’s better to pay than go down legal aid route. the solicitors business partners are the ones who benefit out of this at the end of the day. It sticks in your craw having to pay to divorce these cretins, but think what they’ve stolen from us and not just financially over the duration of the relationship, but in my mind it’s money well spent. as long as the amount is agreed on up front inclusive of vat.
      Good luck and best wishes
      IWMB 💕💕

diymum@1
      Participant

i shouldnt say this but the lawyers do cash in by keeping you dangling. When its kids involved they know youll go to the ends of the earth what ever it costs. its cashing in on peoples misery xx

Iwantmeback
      Participant

It has to be said DIY, there ARE always some professionals out there making money out of human misery, unless we have an inkling in how to speak legally and have an understanding of the law we all need to be an Erin Brokowich.😉
      IWMB 💕💕

diymum@1
      Participant

yes indeed erin !IWMB xx when your going through the (detail removed by moderator) your feeling so anxious and out of control, it dosent even cross your mind – you hang on there every word and id go as far to say in my case (removed by moderator)! and theyre defending abusive men argh! sorry rant over lol x*x d**k turpin doesnt get a look in! luv diy x*x

brandnewme
      Participant

Thanks ladies , its a b****y joke!
      im so scared if i do not get the occupation order he will try and get back in the home .
      i have not even started to think about divorcing (detail removed by Moderator)
      i have just read my tenancy agreement that has a clause in it about DV not being tolerated so have contacted housing officer to see how we can get his name of the joint tenancy that way.

brandnewme
      Participant

Thanks ladies , its a b****y joke!
      im so scared if i do not get the occupation order he will try and get back in the home .
      i have not even started to think about divorcing (detail removed by Moderator)
      i have just read my tenancy agreement that has a clause in it about DV not being tolerated so have contacted housing officer to see how we can get his name of the joint tenancy that way???

diymum@1
      Participant

go in with this and be adament – if its on the agreement they really have to uphold that. do what you have to do even if you have to get the police involved. let them know that you are terrified of him – i found that was the only way xx luv diy

Viewing 12 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content