Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Alicenotichains
      Participant

It’s a simple question but I would say that one of the things I have noticed after 2 abusive relationships is that you totally lose your sparkle when you are with one of these men. And I guess no matter how they abuse you, if you feel the light inside you dim or go out, their darkness is overcoming you and you need to get away from the relationship .
      Sometimes the question needs to be focused on us rather than them? I spent a lot of time thinking “is this abuse??” But actually I just had to look at the effect of their behaviour on me to answer that question. The sparkly me completely disappeared. I was too busy watching my mouth, walking on egg shells, trying not to incur their wrath. That is no way to live. I can feel the sparkle coming back now they are gone. Time for me to shine again x*x

KIP.
      Participant

My friend bought me a lovely wall plaque that says ‘Never let anyone dull your sparkle’. Very true đź‘Ť

Alicenotichains
      Participant

She sounds like a nice friend KIP. x

Dragonfly
      Participant

Hi. Exact same for me. I use the word spirit. He took that away from me. It’s definitely coming back tho 🙂

Lyng
      Participant

So true. He took away the true me. The one he said he loved then turned around and tried to destroy.

Lightness
      Participant

‘The light that you could never see
      It shines inside, you can’t take that from me’ Madonna, Live to Tell

Alice – I also feel the sparkle coming back now I have left – it certainly sounds like you still have yours, and it will get stronger.

Knots
      Participant

This is such a positive discussion ladies. I lost the knowledge that I even had a sparkle once and thought I was just naturally a depressive. Even if I looked ok on the outside I felt no real happiness within, but I know that’s because of my awful relationship, having to watch what I say and do, never knowing if I get carried away in a happy moment I’ll get criticised and put in my place. Can’t wait for this to stop and I get away. I’ll think sparkle whenever I feel I can’t do this.
      Good luck to you all, I hope your sparkle keeps growing. X

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2015 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content