Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Janedoeissad
      Participant

I think I may have posted about this before. However, I have recently taken up a martial arts course and I have to say, its healing me in all different ways. Plus I passed my grading recently!!

The guy who runs it is considerate, open to discussion and accommodating. Everything my Ex wasn’t. If I say I do not want to do something, that’s fine. No issue. He pushes you to do things you didn’t think you were capable of and then praises you when you get there.

Because I have been getting regular exercise, I feel amazing. I was getting angry a lot, I felt anxious constantly and I hated myself. The anger has almost completely gone and if it appears I can go to a class and get rid of it in an appropriate setting. My anxiety has dropped a lot, and I feel more in control of life. Finally I’ve dropped nearly 2 dress sizes!

This is literally keeping my head straight and I couldn’t be more thankful for that. Plus, knowing how to defend yourself safely in any situation brings about a huge confidence boost. I walk taller and feel better able to assert myself if needed.

God I sound so gushy! But honestly best thing I have ever done and I highly recommend it.

KIP.
      Participant

I think it’s fantastic. I’ve discovered the gym and the fact that exercise produces serotonin the happy hormone keeping my depression at bay. I wish I could do martial arts but I had a panic when a man tried to carry a bag for me recently so still have trouble with personal space. I’d like to try boxing exercises. Empowering x

AlwaysSorry
      Participant

This sounds amazing, Janedoeissad and congratulations on the grading. Well done you!
      I was toying with trying out krav maga but wasn’t sure if it was a good idea as a dv survivor. Your story is making me think this might actually help. Wonderful to read and be as gushy as you want! Anything that makes you feel this good is worth being happy and proud of and certainly worth sharing 🙂

fizzylem
      Participant

Glad you’ve posted again. I remember reading some of your posts, the consumed by anger one springs to mind and your last post about the martial arts, it was at a time I was also starting to invest in my health through fitness and what you said affirmed for me that this is the way to go, you made me smile and spurred me on a great deal – I have since found there is much value in this also with running, yoga and swimming with my daughter. Loving how there is another dimension of value in your choice – confidence you could kickass if needed!

I have been ill for years and yesterday was the first time I had moments in the day where I felt pain free and that I wasn’t living in a dream – my cognitive function seemed to be restored – it was only for a few short moments a few times, but it means everything to me, it has shown me that I may just make a full recovery from this and my health and mental health will likely be better than ever before. I couldn’t see me working for an employer again but now maybe one day I will.

Thanks for posting; wishing you all good things xx

Janedoeissad
      Participant

Sorry, I should have mentioned its ladies only classes. So I only ever spar with other women. The only male is the instructor, and as I have said, he’s very courteous and respectful. Trust me, I have tested his patience many times and the man just never gets mad!

The teacher never even comes close to any of us. He shows you how to do things and makes you mirror him rather than him touching you to show you how to do things. The way he works is marvellous and has restored my faith in the male species! lol!

KIP, a friend of mine couldn’t afford classes so bought a punch bag and boxing gloves and did DIY sessions at home. Said it worked wonders. Maybe use that as a starting point rather than jumping straight into classes?

AlwaysSorry, I was very nervous about it. However, it being women only has helped me a lot. The classes involve elements of self defense and he is going to teach us how to get out of most conflict situations. I thought I was going to find these triggering but they haven’t been so far. He is also a White Ribbon supporter. So he wants to end all forms of abuse against women. This is another reason I chose his classes.

Fizzylem, I loved your post! The turning point when you start feeling really well is amazing. I have always been determined to move on from my experience (as much as you can do) and to never think of myself as a victim but a survivor. I just keep looking for new ways to show myself how much I am worth and learn how to never get myself in that situation again. Keep going Fizzylem, you are totally smashing it!

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content