Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      hop
      Participant

Hi I’ve just joined up. I didn’t think what happened was abuse but I started having counselling which was quickly upgraded to stage 4 trauma therapy. Reliving my old life is causing many problems and I am going to some club for abused women to try and help me get used to the idea but I’m scared. I hate the words people use and talking about violations of my body. It’s just another thing that other people do to me that I have no control over. I hope that being around people who have had this stuff happen to them too will help me come to terms with something that has been a secret for more than 20 years. I hope this isn’t too much info but I’m working really hard all of the time to have mastery over my own life and even though it feels impossible I want to fight it head on.

KIP.
      Participant

Hello and welcome, it’s great that you’re engaged with trauma therapy. I’d be very careful about attending support groups where they trigger your trauma. You really have to be well recovered before opening yourself to potential triggers. My advice is to stick to one to one counselling and try to join some happy hobby groups to compliment your counselling. Maybe yoga or mindfulness. Fighting it head on isn’t always productive and can set you back if you’re not ready. Start with baby steps. Doing little things that fill you with confidence and very slowly builds your self esteem. Trauma therapy is exhausting. It’s a roller coaster. I know how impatient it can be trying to recover, especially on our good days but it really is a marathon. Plenty rest, exercise, positive experiences. Write down three positive things every day to keep your mind positive x keep posting and sharing for validation and support. You’ve found a great site here x

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content