Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Amber
      Participant

I have been in an abusive relationship for over (detail removed by Moderator) years and boy do I Feel an idiot.
      For the past two years I’ve had counselling and now my brain and the real me is starting to surface.

The controlling behaviour is so familiar to me it is all I know.
      It’s madness as I think I have reasonable intelligence but blank out the truth until things explode,

Have any of you any tips on dealing with blanking out what’s happening to you and not escaping?
      Thanks

mushroom
      Participant

Hi Amber,

I’m glad to hear the counselling is helping and you’re starting to feel more like yourself. I know it’s easier said than done because I often feel the same way but try not to blame yourself. If you lacked intelligence or were easy to control then your abuser would not have needed to play all the mind games they did to make you stay with them. It takes a lot of time and effort to abuse someone and distort their sense of normality and self worth and I believe that’s the part they enjoy – the challenge of controlling us. Take pride in the fact you’re starting to see the true picture and look at it as an opportunity to move on. Be careful about trying to blank things out. I know it seems the best way to deal with it sometimes but I’ve had days where I want to blank out what happened and that only leads to one thing – me thinking that it didn’t really happen and maybe he was a nice guy and I was overreacting. Maybe your counsellor can offer more help?

Amber
      Participant

Thank you for your reply mushroom, It was good to hear what you had to say and it helped.
      So far this is the longest time I’ve not blanked out the truth. It seems strange and weird to be in this bad situation and aware of it. I don’t like it.

Somehow I’m getting out of here very soon.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content