Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Nova
      Participant

I’ve been registered a while but this is the first time I’ve posted.

I’ve been out of the abusive relationship for (detail removed by moderator) now. Trying to move on with life, change of house, change of occupation, even met someone new. But it’s not quite so easy as I’d expected. Even after all those months I’m still affected by it.

I kinda feel like now the worst is over and I should just get over it. But I haven’t been able to, so I’m here. I’m here because I won’t let my past ruin my future. Maybe it’s good to talk about what happened. Maybe one day then I won’t feel so crazy.

Janedoeissad
      Participant

Hi Nova

Welcome to to the forum.

Talking has helped me a lot and I only left a few weeks ago. Have you thought about counselling to help with some of the thoughts/feelings you are having?

I find that people outside the forum do not quite understand my thoughts and feelings but the people on here do!

Please keep talking.

Jx

KIP.
      Participant

Hello and welcome. I can tell you that the first two years after I was free were worse than any two I had with my abuser. Because of the cycle of abuse and the honeymoon period I always had respite from his abuse as that’s how he kept me hooked in. Jeckyll and Hyde. When we leave we are in this constant state of anxiety that only gets broken after an outburst, then comes the honeymoon period. When we leave it also gives our brains space to process the abuse and this can cause PTSD and other mental health problems so please don’t be hard on yourself. Recovering from abuse is lengthy and complex. Keep posting and asking questions. Councelling is a good idea or phone the helpline on here for a chat x
      I’m so glad you are safe and free and sound like you’ve done really well đź‘Ť

Nova
      Participant

Although it’s been a few weeks since I was last on here, I want to say thank you for the welcoming messages.

Freedomfighter
      Participant

Hi Nova,
      The more you post and read, the more you research the abuse you suffered or counselling, the easier it is to understand what we’ve been through and start the healing process. I’m glad you managed to escape safely and are moving on with your life.
      Maybe now is the time to deal with what happened and learn to love yourself again. I wish you luck on your journey

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditions │ Privacy & cookie policy │ Site map │ Protect yourself online│ Media │ Jobs │ Accessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content