Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Bluetac1
      Participant

I have come to the conclusion that I have to end my relationship with my partner. We have been together for over a decade and we’ve not really had any problems until last gear. Covid had an impact on his mental health and his job and unfortunately I became the emotional punching bag. I feel that I have tried to work through it and support him but I have decided enough is enough.

He has already told me if I leave him that he will kill himself but I just can’t do it anymore I am breaking point. We are already living apart so that is easier but I know he is going to not take this well.

Does anyone have any tips about how to leave an emotionally abusive relationship? I am scared what will happen.
      How can I make sure to do this in the safest way?

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hello there, good you are posting on here.

It is typical of emotional abuse that partner will say they will kill themselves.

As hard as this may be, if you want to leave this is not your responsibility. Make sure they know about Samaritans freephone number, encourage them to visit G.P and if you are really concerned and have not heard from them you can phone the police and ask them to do a welfare check on him.

Then there is the basics.
      You say you do not share a place. Make certain he does not have a key to your place.
      If yes, you are going to have to change the locks.

If he is not taking no for an answer block him on your phone.

If further threats ensue, inform the police and get an incident number, putting all incidents in a notebook or similar to record with dates.

Phone women’s aid and ask for further advice adn support.

Good luck. If you dont’ wish to have a relationship with this person this is your right. Sounds like you have had enough of it.

Anonymous
      Inactive

OP is living apart from abuser.

Eyesopening
      Participant

Talk with WA or your local DA services about your escape plan, they can help you here.
      Then any other tips is make sure you read up on trauma bonding, so you can make sense of why you feel the way you do.
      It’s like breaking a drug habit.
      keep posting and keep us up to date, having this forum was essential when I left because instead of messaging him when I felt bad, I would come on here. Or talk with my support, make sure you have your support set up, so whenever your wobbling, you contact them for your support, rather then your abuser.
      xx

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2015 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content