Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Confused-and-alone
      Participant

I have been thinking about/planning leaving my emotionally abusive husband for a while now. Today we had a massive arguement and I honestly thought he was going to throw a plate at me – I cowered in front of him and almost burst into tears with the shock of it. He has never hit me but he does have really angry outbursts. He didn’t calm down for ages but when he did he was really apologetic about it all and I just have in like I always do. I’m so annoyed with myself for letting this happen – even when I was stood terrified in front of him thinking he was going to hit me my head was saying just leave by I couldn’t. And now he’s apologised it’s like it was no big deal and I’m blowing it out of proportion saying I thought he was going to hit me he was just shouting like normal so I’m expected to get over it like normal. I don’t know if I can build up the courage to actually leave.

Chickadee
      Participant

Hi I feel so stuck.

The whole point is…..no woman should be in that position of fear with a man in the first place.

And if you find yourself there…..your not with a real man.

Chickadee

anotherlife
      Participant

Hi Confused-and-alone. This is similar to my situation. We’ve been together many years, 2 kids, which makes it much harder for me. He’s got much worse in the last year or so but is much nicer when working away. I got to the stage of hating him & after one episode, I vowed that I’d never let him touch me again. Then apologies & promises. I wanted out, but couldn’t bring myself to say so.
      Afterwards the disappointment of being together still was massive & I still feel worse fir the fact we’re together.
      It’s harder than you’d think isn’t it? I thought I’d be able to say I’d finally had enough. Years ago he would never say sorry, but now he apologises & it’s almost like he knows he can get round me by saying sorry & promising to be nicer.
      I hope you can find a way out of your situation. I know the reality for any if us will no doubt be harder than we anticipate but we all deserve to get away from our selfish, manipulative partners & find some peace somehow x

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content