Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author

Please help me I feel terrible. I woke up in sweats and it felt so real. My therapist said that I would feel like this but I feel absolutely awful, sick to the stomach and violated.

KIP.
      Participant

I was told it was like having an operation to make you better. You will feel awful as you’re opened up and then the healing will begin. I remembered awful things after therapy but I faced them and dealt with them. It helps in the long term but incredibly frightening. It is normal though. Just do something to try to distract you. Relaxation breathing exercises x

Freedomfighter
      Participant

Hi positive,
      I know what you mean. Therapy/counselling always leaves me feeling exhausted, drained and raw. I’ve buried so much in the past apparently because I couldn’t handle it at the time. Currently dragging it all back up to ‘deal’ with it. It’s rough! As for the nightmare and flashbacks I was told it’s my mind remembering things, but then my body remembering how it felt at that time. Kind of reliving it. I’m sorry you’re going through this. It’s like having it happen all over again, I feel. However it is really helpful, really helps me to understand that none of it was my fault (well apart from not listening to my gut). Everything else was his fault. I feel it’s worth the horrible experience because I remember things during the flashbacks, things which makes me realise that he was lying, manipulating coercive and scared the s**t out of my, confused and made me doubt myself because he forced alcohol down me then put his mask back on playing MrPerfect and why the hell would he do such an awful thing?
      Just bare with it for a while. If you have a good therapist they can really help you deal effectively with your issues. Try to think of the nightmare and flashbacks as just your brain trying to remind you of something. Writing it down helps me while it’s fresh in my mind. I hope you stick at it and get the closure you need. Hugs

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2024 Women's Aid Federation of England – Women’s Aid is a company limited by guarantee registered in England No: 3171880.

Women’s Aid is a registered charity in England No. 1054154

Terms & conditionsPrivacy & cookie policySite mapProtect yourself onlineMedia │ JobsAccessibility Guide

or    

Forgot your details?

Create Account

Skip to content